BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Conventional Discovery Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When in Conventional Discovery mode, the Avoid key doesn't work quite right. During normal scanning, if the scanner hits something you don't want to hear (say a pager freq), you can hit Avoid while the transmission is playing or any time during the Delay interval after squelch closes, and the channel/freq will be Avoided. But during Discovery, the Avoid key is ignored unless squelch is open. So if you hit on a freq with a transponder broadcasting a 50ms data burst every 3 seconds, it is nearly impossible to Avoid the freq and continue Discovery, and if you don't have a time out timer set, it will hang the scan.

The same thing occurs when the scanner hits certain trunked system control channels. It will display LNK and/or DAT in the bottom-right corner of the display, but if squelch never opens, then the scan hangs and your only options are to exit and resume the Discovery session, or wait until the timeout timer runs out.

3 solutions need to be implemented:

1. The Avoid key needs to be active any time scanning is paused in Discovery mode, not just when squelch is open.

2. There needs to be an option in Discovery where if a frequency runs out the timeout timer, that frequency can automatically be Avoided for the remainder of the Discovery session. This will prevent trunked system control channels, weather channels, HAM rag chews, etc. from repeatedly hanging the scan for the duration of the timeout timer.

3. Figure out why the Discovery scan hangs on the trunking control channels without breaking squelch. Once the scanner figures out the system type and NAC/color code, it should log the hit as a control channel and then automatically Avoid the frequency for the remainder of the Discovery session.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One other thing: I let a Discovery session run about 24 hours, and got hits on over 300 frequencies. The results are showing in the scanner when I look at the Discovery Sessions in the scanner menu, but when I try to read the scanner into Sentinel, I get a VHF_RUN0008 session item, but there is NOTHING underneath it. None of the Discovery hits imported into Sentinel.

Any thoughts on how to fix this so I can see the Discovery hits in Sentinel?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I will post more about discovery bug later on.

As far as the viewer, there is a drop box on the top. Did you set it to "Detail" in there or is it on "Summary"

rumcajs_tr

QUICK FIX: When the scanner stops on data bursts channel during discovery, I manually open squelch by turning the squelch knob, then I hit AVOID button and after the frequency is avoided, I adjust the squelch knob back to desired position.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
As far as the viewer, there is a drop box on the top. Did you set it to "Detail" in there or is it on "Summary"

Nothing imported into Sentinel so that wasn't an option.

I opened the discovery log file manually and pasted the data into Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.