Conventional Discovery Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Is it just me or does it not make sense in this modern age of scanning to have a conventional discovery mode that doesn't show PL/DPL tones? Or does it actually show the tone somewhere? Radio "channels" haven't simply been just frequencies for years -- many times there are multiple users on the same frequency using separate tones. What's the point of having a conventional discovery that doesn't show each separate PL/DPL hit as a separate channel?

mryvr

I just got my 436 today and one of the first things I tested was the close call and noticed that it lacked that feature. I was disappointed too.

an39511

Seems strange because the BCD536HP shows the tone (if one is present)
This is the case for Discovery mode and Close Call.
The two radios are very similar so if it isn't there it should be an easy fix in firmware.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Seems strange because the BCD536HP shows the tone (if one is present)
This is the case for Discovery mode and Close Call.
The two radios are very similar so if it isn't there it should be an easy fix in firmware.
i don't have the radio yet but I'm going off of a demo video someone put up. There was no tone shown.

an39511

i don't have the radio yet but I'm going off of a demo video someone put up. There was no tone shown.

Just so I am clear, the display will only display a tone if there is one being sent. When receiving a tone it will flash the tone on the screen. Why it alternates on and off during the transmission is beyond me. Seems like a dumb idea but at least you can read the tone. I am assuming the 436 does the same thing.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Walmart here in town and Long John Silvers only few hundred yards away from each other both use the same frequency. The BCD436HP I have now shows the tone difference. I wonder if Walmart employees with their radios ever hear "Welcome to Long John Silvers, may I take your order?" LoL

Gilligan

Database Admin
I would imagine that Close Call would likely still show a tone on either radio, but from the video I watched, Conventional Discovery Mode doesn't distinguish between different tones on the same frequency. What is the point of being able to listen to recorded audio if you don't even know which tone it had? How can you even "confirm" anything?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Discovery should capture the tone for the transmission (if one is present).

Gilligan

Database Admin
If you review a discovery run on the scanner itself (not using the software), does it display each separate tone/NAC as a separate find? So if you were at a ballpark and there were three different departments using the same frequency but different tones, upon review on the scanner would you be able to listen to each department separately in Summary mode?

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
If you review a discovery run on the scanner itself (not using the software), does it display each separate tone/NAC as a separate find? So if you were at a ballpark and there were three different departments using the same frequency but different tones, upon review on the scanner would you be able to listen to each department separately in Summary mode?

Yes. If you go to review discovery run results, and choose summary or detail , choose one of the found frequencies, and choose information you can get the tone/NAC for that particular hit. As far as I can tell so far, it will save the tone/NAC for each hit on the same frequency using a different tone/NAC. I do have the same frequency listed multiple times in my discovery results, with different tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.