Conventional frequency digital decode problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerk

I was wondering what you are experiencing with a conventional digital channel.

I have been monitoring a VHF channel that is digital and it takes milliseconds to open up, and I miss parts of the transmission. On analog reception is instantaneous. I do this because signal is weak (and with the delay) I'm not sure I receiving it or scanner is slow in opening the squelch. Most of the time it seems the BCD396 is slow.

Yes I know the digital delay setting is adjustable. But I also have "motorboating" problems on my trunked systems. So I dare not change anything without more input or suggestions as to what others have done.

It is an unidentified Federal conventional frequency. Not in RR database yet. This is with firmware 2.01.00.

n4yek

A suggestion by Upman was to set the modulation to FM instead of NFM, makes it easier for the scanner to decode the signal. It helped me out a bunch monitoring the National Park service here in Tennessee which is also on VHF. I have the delay set at 500 ms, I also use ver 2.01.01 firmware.

Last edited:

jerk

A suggestion by Upman was to set the modulation to FM instead of NFM, makes it easier for the scanner to decode the signal. It helped me out a bunch monitoring the National Park service here in Tennessee which is also on VHF. I have the delay set at 500 ms, I also use ver 2.01.01 firmware.

I guess I can try that, it is a new channel, and it is narrow band.
My problem is I have two systems that are (9600) digital, that I monitor, and I don't want to mess up their reception. The others are mixed mode which is what the delay setting was supposed to fix/solve.
Thanks

jerk

I tried going to FM setting, and it seems to help. Also reported and have a beta firmware, though I don't think that is the problem.

Could just be weak reception. Will have to do more searching and checking. But at least one setting change helped.

n4yek

Good to hear, the weak reception would probably be the biggest problem. I know, as probably you do to, that weak reception on digital is a killer.

jerk

Good to hear, the weak reception would probably be the biggest problem. I know, as probably you do to, that weak reception on digital is a killer.
If I could find it's location, I'd go sit on the site and see what else pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.