Conventional Frequency Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowplowguy

Noob question.

I have listened to and learned quite a bit so far and am getting the hang of basic programming & operation.

When entering conventional frequencies I see TAFL lists transmit & receive frequencies for repeater systems. I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that only the RX frequency would need to be programmed into the scanner but how does one determne which one is the TX and which is the RX if both frequencies are listed under TX and RX.

If I enter both frequencies am I just burning up channels?

I've read posts here listing frequencies for lets say Hamilton & Niagara EMS. When I search those frequencies on TAFL generally there is another frequency that goes along with the posted one.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about

Code:
   TX     RX        LOCATION       LICENCEE

162.1950 162.1950 SMITHVILLE ONT REGIONAL MUNICIPAL
162.1950 169.1850 SMITHVILLE ONT REGIONAL MUNICIPAL
169.1850 162.1950 SMITHVILLE ONT REGIONAL MUNICIPAL

163.0200 169.8900 GRIMSBY ONT TOWN OF GRIMSBY -
169.8900 163.0200 GRIMSBY ONT TOWN OF GRIMSBY -

GrumpyGuard

The system may not be on a repeater. If the system is symplex they transmit and receive on the same frequency. If the system has diferent frequncies listed in tx and rx you should only put in the frequency listed in the rx column. Other wise you are just using up space.

snowplowguy

I believe they are on repeaters, as there is far too much area to cover to be simplex.

What I was getting at with the above example is where there is a TX and RX frequency then immediately below in the table the same 2 frequencies are shown again (but in reverse).

Was just trying to figure out if there was an easy way to tell which frequency is the actual RX.

DaveH

This is a good question. If you see one pair, plus several others with TX and RX the other way, the first one is a repeater and you should program the TX of that one. The specific location should give some clue, such as "township garage" for a station feeding into the repeater, and "Mount Humungous" or location of a tall building or whatever for the repeater inself.

I always check the TX ERP in TAFL. Except in rare cases, the repeater TX ERP is higher than the other stations. Look for a number typically 14-20dBW or higher for the repeater (except for low-power site systems).

Dave

snowplowguy

Thanks for the tip Dave...... I'm gonna try that now.

I've been doing it the hard way.... but have learned quite a bit along the way. What I was doing is cross-referencing all the TAFL data (which you can cut'n'paste into a spreadsheet proggy like excel (I use quattropro)) with the data I got from http://www.scannercentre.8m.com/freq.html (which you can also cut'n'paste into a spreadsheet program). I was able to determine and cull the TX stuff by comparing the info with the TAFL generated frequencies).

With my learning I also was able to seek out many frequencies that are common to this area as follows;

I went through all the info (from A2Z) from scannercentre and did a block cut for any city that I thought was in my service area and pasted it into Quattro. I then did a 'quattro sort' on frequencies. This enabled me to see which cities used the same frequencies for certain things.

Might not be particularly useful for some...... but for me...... it helps me determine what particular frequencies to program and who all uses them.

For those who find my post confusing.....lol..... here's a little snippet of my sort in Quattropro......

Code:
FONTHILL        AMBULANCE    MOBILES      155.1300
GRIMSBY         AMBULANCE    LOCAL        155.1300
ST. CATHERINES  AMBULANCE    LOCAL        155.1300
ST. CATHERINES  AMBULANCE    LOCAL        155.1300
THOROLD         AMBULANCE    LOCAL        155.1300
WELLAND         AMBULANCE    LOCAL        155.1300

I'm really starting to get hooked..... and I haven't even begun with Trunking yet.... :lol:

snowplowguy

......... I think I may have figured out these strange 'hits' I've been getting on the 'close call RF capture' feature.

I've been getting intermitant 'close call' beeps ever since I started using my scanner. They are all in the 142.* range and most recent ones have been logged as....

.... but the transmission almost sounds like a dial-up modem when you pick up the phone while someone's online. There is no voice but you can move the squelch almost all the way clockwise and the transmission is still there.

I'm kinda thinking these are close transmissions from the encrypted Niagara Regional Police. The band seems about right to me.

DaveH

Be careful with that "scannercentre" data; a lot of if it WAY out of date, for my area, and some others I have checked (Kingston). That doesn't mean it's all wrong, but TAFL is much more dependable.

Looks like you've figured out a good way to sort it. I also use QPW, an older version. You can download TAFL in text (instead of HTML) and cut/paste.

As for those specific frequencies, looks like a mix of simplex and repeaters. Simplex might still be licensed but not necessarily used (except if a repeater goes down...). You can program input and output and see the difference.

Dave

Saint

Premium Subscriber
re-frequencies

snowplowguy said:
......... I think I may have figured out these strange 'hits' I've been getting on the 'close call RF capture' feature.

I've been getting intermitant 'close call' beeps ever since I started using my scanner. They are all in the 142.* range and most recent ones have been logged as....

.... but the transmission almost sounds like a dial-up modem when you pick up the phone while someone's online. There is no voice but you can move the squelch almost all the way clockwise and the transmission is still there.

I'm kinda thinking these are close transmissions from the encrypted Niagara Regional Police. The band seems about right to me.

These are frequencies that are part of the Fleetnet System where the OPP and others are in the Niagara region. (Digital sound)
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.