Conventional mode PL Codes for Aiken County Sheriff receive only

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapbad

Premium Subscriber
To listen with a 800mhz radio in conventional mode receive only would a PL Code be needed to quiet any data noise like heard on a analog scanner? I'm thinking not but was curious.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You'll need a P25 trunk-tracking scanner to hear them.

Aiken Co Sheriff operates on the Palmetto 800 trunked radio system, which is a digital (P25) system. An analog scanner won't decode any of the voice traffic on the system.

You can scan the individual frequencies of a trunked radio site with a non-trunking scanner. But that doesn't change the fact that a scanner not capable of decoding P25 voice still won't decode the voice channels, trunk-tracking or not.

slapbad

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You'll need a P25 trunk-tracking scanner to hear them.

Aiken Co Sheriff operates on the Palmetto 800 trunked radio system, which is a digital (P25) system. An analog scanner won't decode any of the voice traffic on the system.

You can scan the individual frequencies of a trunked radio site with a non-trunking scanner. But that doesn't change the fact that a scanner not capable of decoding P25 voice still won't decode the voice channels, trunk-tracking or not.
There's a guy on YouTube that programmed a xts 3000 or 5000 I forget which. I've had scanners and the audio isn't as good as I'd like and receive is fair at best while traveling in rural areas. Two-way Radios are much better receivers hands down because they are built much better than a scanner. I'm a retired Two-way Radio dealer but, I never really got to far into trunking and have been reading up on it and talking with a family friend so I can educate myself on the subject. Thank you for your help and time. Have a great memorial day.

rescuecomm

You have to program those radios for a non-affilliated scan. Otherwise any (non-paid) radio that shows up on a trunked public safety system will be inhibited or bricked in the common tongue. They work well but they should because the initial cost of these units was over $2,000 each. The XTS5000 considerably more.

Bob

slapbad

Premium Subscriber
You have to program those radios for a non-affilliated scan. Otherwise any (non-paid) radio that shows up on a trunked public safety system will be inhibited or bricked in the common tongue. They work well but they should because the initial cost of these units was over $2,000 each. The XTS5000 considerably more.

Bob
Yes I'm aware. Most forums I've read on here many have issues at the mere mention of programming a walkie talkie for receive only in conventional mode. The fact is some want to listen but can't afford the ridiculously high cost of a scanner. I personally have both scanners and two-way radios. Audio quality is just rough in rural areas I've been through. I chose radios hands down since they're made better and much clearer. YouTube has quite a few whom have programmed xts3000/5000 and the likes for receive only with no issues. They obviously must have programmed the radio in the conventional mode. The bricked part you are referring to is true if the person isn't familiar with the proper way to accommodate the task I suppose. I was told some years back that trunking had no PL Code. After that I had printed out a paper through my scanners software and what showed up was tower codes,site codes,the unique system id and a pl code for Aiken County Sheriff of dcs 754. Of course this is very old and since now in digital mode has changed I'm sure. Thank you for your kindness and the information you have given. I love reading this forum.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Actually, folks can program their unofficial subscriber radio in a manner similar to legitimate subscriber radios, complete with trunked systems, trunked personalities, and so forth. They use one or more methods to prohibit the radio from affiliating, called "non-affiliate scan." In these cases, the radio is not programmed with a trunked site's conventional channels as conventional channels.

To do this, you'll need a few things that can be challenging, and technically illegal, to obtain -

- A subscriber radio (easy to obtain) with a good battery and antenna
- a charger
- a programming cable appropriate for the radio model
- programming software, for Motorolas called CPS appropriate for the radio model
- a system key for the trunked radio system you're programming

Keep in mind you're allowed no more than 10 talkgroups in a scan list, which can be limiting. Assuming you don't modify the programming software to give 16 talkgroups.

I suppose it is possible to use a subscriber radio to scan a trunked site's frequencies conventionally. Though far from ideal because you never know which agency is talking at any time. And you can't follow a conversation or specific talkgroup. A system key won't be required to do this, which removes a significant burden. For P25 frequencies, I think what you're looking for regarding a PL tone equivalent is a NAC code. We have those listed for most Palmetto 800 trunked sites (see the site details page).

slapbad

Premium Subscriber

Bob
Yes I'm aware. Most forums I've read on here many have issues at the mere mention of programming a walkie talkie for receive only in conventional mode. The fact is some want to listen but can't afford the ridiculously high cost of a scanner. I personally have both scanners and two-way radios. Audio quality is just rough in rural areas I've been through. I chose radios hands down since they're made better and much clearer. YouTube has quite a few whom have programmed xts3000/5000 and the likes for receive only with no issues. They obviously must have programmed the radio in the conventional mode. The bricked part you are referring to is true if the person isn't familiar with the proper way to accommodate the task I suppose. I was told some years back that trunking had no PL Code. After that I had printed out a paper through my scanners software and what showed up was tower codes,site codes,the unique system id and a pl code for Aiken County Sheriff of dcs 754. Of course this is very old and since now in digital mode has changed I'm sure. I eThank you for your kindness and the information you have given. I love reading this forum.
Actually, folks can program their unofficial subscriber radio in a manner similar to legitimate subscriber radios, complete with trunked systems, trunked personalities, and so forth. They use one or more methods to prohibit the radio from affiliating, called "non-affiliate scan." In these cases, the radio is not programmed with a trunked site's conventional channels as conventional channels.

To do this, you'll need a few things that can be challenging, and technically illegal, to obtain -

- A subscriber radio (easy to obtain) with a good battery and antenna
- a charger
- a programming cable appropriate for the radio model
- programming software, for Motorolas called CPS appropriate for the radio model
- a system key for the trunked radio system you're programming

Keep in mind you're allowed no more than 10 talkgroups in a scan list, which can be limiting. Assuming you don't modify the programming software to give 16 talkgroups.

I suppose it is possible to use a subscriber radio to scan a trunked site's frequencies conventionally. Though far from ideal because you never know which agency is talking at any time. And you can't follow a conversation or specific talkgroup. A system key won't be required to do this, which removes a significant burden. For P25 frequencies, I think what you're looking for regarding a PL tone equivalent is a NAC code. We have those listed for most Palmetto 800 trunked sites (see the site details page).
Thank you for your help. The NAC Code maybe the equivalent to the pl code. I understand better now. I did notice the CPS on Motorola solutions.com I believe it was. It has a timer at the top of the screen. It showed to be for the xts 3000. I also found many different versions of the RSS on some other site. I'll continue to research this as I have the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.