• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Conventional Scan Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDR-94

Why does conventional scanning work so much differently than trunk group scanning on these (P7100 P5100 P7200) radios? It's almost useless to use the priority scan,being that it cuts into the current channel activity, checking for the priority, to the point of it making the current channel unintelligible.

Does the radio not scan the current channel that the radio is parked on if "Always Scan Selected Channel" isn't selected? Does the radio pick-up any traffic on the selected channel if that feature is off? I seem to be getting mixed results.

Last edited:

DisasterGuy

Trunked system scanning isn't actually scanning. The radio is getting low speed data on the working channel to perform priority revert. In conventional the radio is needing to leave the frequency to check the priority frequency.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
The ability to NOT scan the selected channel is usually used for TWO-FREQUENCY SIMPLEX systems. (IE: base is on one frequency, the mobiles/portables are on a different frequency, where the users in the field cannot hear each other intentionally. Users in California are all too aware of this system!)

The reason for this is the radio needs to be scanning one or more receive frequencies for traffic, but only transits on a single frequency. You see in some older public safety systems and in Taxicab and Wrecker dispatch comms.

For most cases, you must have ALWAYS SCAN SELECTED CHANNEL checked.

Why you seen the audio "hole" when scanning conventional with PRIORITY is the radio must physically change channels to sample the priority channel for a signal. There are minimum time requirements to be able to do this. A plain analog channel without any CG or DCG is the fastest at about 30 milliseconds. And in a CG or DCG, then there is some additional overhead time required to validate the CG/DCG if present to see if it is valid. If it is a digital voice mode channel, even more time !!! I starts to add up quickly. This is simple time constraints which must be met to perform the required functions.

P1 is the worst. I samples every ½ second. P2 is a bit easier to listen to, as it only samples the designated priority channel half as often.

If it can be avoided, I NEVER recommend P1 scanning on conventional for this reason.

TDR-94

It makes more sense to me now why it must work that way.Conventional P1 is certainly the worst!

Status
Not open for further replies.