Conventional Scanning in Cola

Status
Not open for further replies.

wikkix

I've just purchased an SC230 scanner pretty much for scanning at nascar races. I figured since I have the scanner I should see if I can do anything else with it.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there is anything much in columbia that isn't on trunk systems? I know that USC has some stuff and i've got that programmed into my scanner. I see that some of the PD and fire depts still have their freqs but do they use them at all?

Thanks for the info.

ka4doa

Conventional in Cola

Lexington County FD multicasts with their 800 dispatch - 154.130
West Columbia FD is on vhf, the freq escapes me this moment - Check database
DNR is VHF statewide. 151.415 is the Columbia Channel. Forestry has a repeater near lake Murray, I believe it is 155.33
Cayce Public Safety is still active on UHF check the database
Columbia Metro PD and FD are on UHF but low power so unless you are near the airport you won't hear much. So while there is not much, there is some action in the metro area.

What part of Columbia interests you? The surrounding counties are all on VHF/UHF?

Tim

wikkix

Thanks Tim, I'm in the SE part of Columbia near the VA hospital, but frequently go to Forest Acres and that part of town, as well as downtown. As well as traveling over the state and up to NC a good bit.

Lex and Richland counties are on VHF/UHF or the other surrounding counties?

ka4doa

From SE Richland, you should be able to hear Calhoun County all services (SO/FD and EMS) are on VHF/UHF. Sumter county is on 800 Mhz. They have their own system and it is digital.

If you go up 77 to NC you will have a little luck in Fairfield and Chester county (FD and EMS). York is 800 Mhz and digital. Still plenty to be heard. For work I travel to Charlotte program my BC-246 with both 800 Mhz and conventional stuff, have not been bored yet.

I also have plenty to listen to going up 26 to Rutherfordton, Marion and Sugar Mountain. After leaving Spartanburg County, all of NC I need is VHF and UHF.

Tim

lugoffman

wikkix said:
I've just purchased an SC230 scanner pretty much for scanning at nascar races. I figured since I have the scanner I should see if I can do anything else with it.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there is anything much in columbia that isn't on trunk systems? I know that USC has some stuff and i've got that programmed into my scanner. I see that some of the PD and fire depts still have their freqs but do they use them at all?

Thanks for the info.
I live in Kershaw county and I get all of richland county and there EMS and Fire on my pro 37 which is old I also get them on the rest of my scanners as well so you should be good putting whats in the data base but I got to tell you EMS and Fire is very over whelming they are always somthing on there. now lexington is all encripted.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2352

Status
Not open for further replies.