Conventional system OK, missing something on Motorola system

Status
Not open for further replies.

selgart

I recently got a Uniden BCD396XT and was able to work with the info in the database here in combination with the Easier to Read manual to get a number of conventional systems working in the scanner (which I'm enjoying immensely, I might add). Now I'm trying to get a Motorola system set up and I think I've got the basic idea but it feels like I'm missing a key point or two (or three).

The system I'm interested in is New York City DoITT (UHF), info found at

It has only one site, with maybe 20 frequencies. At first I put in only the four red ones (primary control channels) but when I didn't get anything after a while I then put all of them in. Then I made two groups as a test, and in each group I made channels with individual talkgroup IDs. So everything looks OK to me as I basically copied the structure of one of the default systems of the same type that was already in the scanner. I'm willing to entertain that I've done something totally wrong though, of course.

However, since I'm not getting anything on this system I'm thinking I've missed something. Things I'm thinking I might need to know more about include fleet map, status bit, and end code, all part of the system options in my scanner. An option for the site is band plan, so there's that too.

The problem is that none of those things are mentioned on the database page. At least not in a way I'm able to recognize. For example, it says the system type is Motorola Type II SmartZone, and the system voice is Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface. I'm wondering if either or both of those imply settings I'm not using that are obvious to an experienced scanner user but that wouldn't have occurred to me. The database page also mentions things like custom frequency tables and system ID list but I've not seen either of those mentioned anywhere else in my explorations.

If someone's willing to lend me a hand or point me in the right direction towards some good documentation or videos I'd greatly appreciate it. Would also be happy to find meetup info if there are any in the New York City area, recommended reddit groups, etc.

Thanks.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It has to be entered as a Motorola system. On the site, under Mot Bandplan, set to Custom. Enter the following in the first position:

Custom Frequency Tables

Base 482.00000
Offset 380
Spacing 6.25

The bandplan (custom frequency tables) is shown just above the frequencies on the Radio Reference database.

Last edited:

selgart

It has to be entered as a Motorola system. On the site, under Mot Bandplan, set to Custom. Enter the following in the first position:

Custom Frequency Tables

Base 482.00000
Offset 380
Spacing 6.25

The bandplan (custom frequency tables) is shown just above the frequencies on the Radio Reference database.
Yes! Thank you, that was it.

There was one further complication as the scanner needed an upper frequency to go with the base frequency but that was easy enough to find and figure out once you set me on the trail.

The formula for this type of site (single band plan) is

Base + ( (759 – Offset ) x Step ), or in this case 482 + ((759 - 380) × .00625) = 484.36875 for the upper base frequency.

Note that the spacing as listed is in KHz but Step in the formula is looking for MHz so my first try gave me an error and I had to shift over a few decimal places. But it's now working quite well and I have a whole 'nother area to start scanning now.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.