conversation with a CPD Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
I was at the Piston Power Autorama in Cleveland today and the CPD had a PR booth inside the front door. I asked one of the Officers there how he liked their new radio system and his answer was: "Ask me Monday night or Tues Morning after St. Patty's day. That will be its first real test." :)

budevans

I was at the Piston Power Autorama in Cleveland today and the CPD had a PR booth inside the front door. I asked one of the Officers there how he liked their new radio system and his answer was: "Ask me Monday night or Tues Morning after St. Patty's day. That will be its first real test." :)

Interesting response from the officer. I wonder what's going to be different about St. Patty's day from the other Events.

Cleveland has a group of TG's (PD, Fire, EMS, Towing, Parking) and Command Bus setup specifically for Special Events. If there is a new Command Bus, you would think it should be even better equipped to do all of the command and control. Plus, if the weathers good I'm sure the Helo's (eyes in the sky) will be up.

I've monitor the Special Event groups for Indians, Browns, Cavs, Holidays, POTUS visits, etc... The radio's have never been an issue.

You'd think they'd have it down to a science by now.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Having been a career officer and communications instructor, I believe this officer is probably no different than 99 percent of the officers I have worked with in the past, in that all they know about radios is "push the button and talk", everything else is rumor and speculation.

jackj

To a PD officer a radio is just a tool. The officer doesn't have to understand the details of how a trunking system works in order to use it effectively. Ideally, it should be just "push the button and talk" and nothing more. Anything more involved and the tool will become a hazard to the officer.

lots of radio traffic this morning CPD Bomb Squad setting up for today's event looking for a place to park their truck downtown.

WuLabsWuTecH

To a PD officer a radio is just a tool. The officer doesn't have to understand the details of how a trunking system works in order to use it effectively. Ideally, it should be just "push the button and talk" and nothing more. Anything more involved and the tool will become a hazard to the officer.

This! I want my issued radio to work 100% of the time when I hit the button and talk into it. Yes, that's the ideal situation that won't ever happen with 100% certainty, but anyone using the system shouldn't need to know much more than how to get to the channel they need, how to talk on it, and perhaps how to use the emergency banner.

Granted I like to learn a lot more and I'm starting to get into public safety radio more, but that's all icing on the cake. I happen to have an engineering degree so I'm interested in these sorts of things. But all my colleagues should need to know is how to operate it in normal circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.