• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

convert text files to csv format

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

Is there an easy or simple way to convert .txt files to csv for import using Don Starr's win 97 program
Thanks
Paul
P.S. I did Google but am more confused now than I was :)

AlabamaRS said:
Is there an easy or simple way to convert .txt files to csv for import using Don Starr's win 97 program
Thanks
Paul
P.S. I did Google but am more confused now than I was :)
Open in word or some other program

Search & Replace for whatever seperates the columns ( tabs, several spaces....)

OkRob

You can import a .txt file into Excel or several other programs and make a .csv file from there easily. If you don't have Excel, look into OpenOffice or one of several other freebies.

- Rob

SCPD

hmm thanks I sem to recall thatnow about excel , would an excel file viwer do the same thing, Will look for 1 and try it\
thanks

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
!st thing to do is export a Win97 file to csv. The file which you structured needs to be set the same or it won't import. However, blank frequency locations and blank trunking TG locations can be ignored in the setup.

SCPD

I dled Excel viwer & bah! didnt work, no where to import a file.. . again whgat I want to do is take a plain text file that I have made & convert to csv format so I can import it using win97. Thank for all the replies so far

PAul

seamusg

AlabamaRS said:
I dled Excel viwer & bah! didnt work, no where to import a file.. . again whgat I want to do is take a plain text file that I have made & convert to csv format so I can import it using win97. Thank for all the replies so far

PAul
Their is no majic way to do it. What you have to do is:
1. Know the format Win97 wants.
2 Write a program to convert the text file to the format what Win 97 wants.
csv is not a everything format it is a file type - comma seperated values but it does not say what each value must be - only the App reading the file defines this- A csv file could be Name ,Address , Phone etc. It's not unique to scanners - it's the most common and oldest way to store data. Fields in a csv file are defined by the App (ie. Win97) their used with.

Status
Not open for further replies.