• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Convert TK-5230 to NX-5200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
I have a TK-5230 radio that I would like to add DMR to. I purchased and added the DMR CV feature license in LCM but with the 5230, it is a P25 only radio, no NXDN or DMR is recognized. Is it possible to flash NX5200 firmware into this radio so that I can write the DMR features in KPG-D1N using an NX5200 profile? If I try that currently I get a model mismatch error (because the radio is telling KPG-D1N that it is actually a TK-5230). Any help would be appreciated.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That radio will not do DMR.
You can't force NX-5x00 firmware into it, completely different radio, different RF section, different controller.
And KPG-D1N is never going to talk to that radio.

If you want DMR, you need to look at the NX-1000, NX-3000 or NX-5000 line of radios.

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
You might be thinking of the TK-5320 (transposed numbers) because KPG-D1N is the software I have to use to program it currently. It is a TK-5230 in fact there are two labels on the chassis, one that says TK-5230 and the other says NX-5230 on the main Kenwood label.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

That's an EF Johnson variation of the NX-5x00. The transition between Kenwood/EF Johnson has been a bit messy at times.

EF Johnson will not support NXDN or DMR.
I don't know if you could cram Kenwood NX-5000 firmware in there or not, I don't have one to try it on, and I'd be reluctant to do that.

Are you located in the USA, or Canada?

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
That's an EF Johnson variation of the NX-5x00. The transition between Kenwood/EF Johnson has been a bit messy at times.

EF Johnson will not support NXDN or DMR.
I don't know if you could cram Kenwood NX-5000 firmware in there or not, I don't have one to try it on, and I'd be reluctant to do that.

Are you located in the USA, or Canada?
I’m just wondering if anyone has actually tried and succeeded with loading NX5200 firmware into a TK-5230. My instincts are that it might just work. The firmware version numbers match identically. In fact the newest version I just installed today was titled NX-5400K2.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've done things with firmware where I switched ProTalk radios to 'regular' radios and it's been successful.
I have not attempted forcing Kenwood NX-5x00 firmware into an EF Johnson radio. I agree, it would probably work, but the having to send it in for repair might be costly.

Thing that would concern me is if KPT-300 would recognize it or not. I'd want the Kenwood firmware and the EF Johnson firmware so I could switch it back.

I'd love to hear if someone has done it, too.

N5XPM

Trying the Kenwood NX firmware on the EFJ TK series is a bold adventure.
If it initially worked, I would be concerned that any purchased upgrades down the road might not work with the next version of Kenwood firmware and you would lose the purchased upgrades.
Might be a little more to sell the TK and purchase the NX and add the desired DMR upgrade (which is pretty reasonable), but might result in a better long-term outcome. The radio would then do analog, DMR and NXDN.

cyberock

I’m just wondering if anyone has actually tried and succeeded with loading NX5200 firmware into a TK-5230. My instincts are that it might just work. The firmware version numbers match identically. In fact the newest version I just installed today was titled NX-5400K2.
Can't do it.

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
You can convert your TX-5230 by TRADING it and CASH with your local Kenwood Dealer for a NX-5200
You’re right. They’ll be going up for sale. I already have P25 only APX’s which serve me well. I just desired the dual functionality of P25 and DMR in one radio.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I have an email into Long Beach to find out some more information on this.
I feel like it's a locked down P25 only radio for it's reasons.

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
I have an email into Long Beach to find out some more information on this.
I feel like it's a locked down P25 only radio for it's reasons.
I appreciate you looking into this for me and am curious to see what those reasons are.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
From Kenwood,
Evans,
The firmware and KPG-D1 software for the TK-5x30 and NX-5000 Series radios are common. Because they are common changing the firmware will not change the model.
It is my understanding that the model name and features associated with the basic model cannot be converted to a different model.

Below are the features of the TK-5x30 Series. DMR is not included and cannot be added as an option.

Please contact EF Johnson if you have further questions on converting or adding features to the TK-5x30 Series.

Thank you,

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
From Kenwood,
Evans,
The firmware and KPG-D1 software for the TK-5x30 and NX-5000 Series radios are common. Because they are common changing the firmware will not change the model.
It is my understanding that the model name and features associated with the basic model cannot be converted to a different model.

Below are the features of the TK-5x30 Series. DMR is not included and cannot be added as an option.

View attachment 87622

Please contact EF Johnson if you have further questions on converting or adding features to the TK-5x30 Series.

Thank you,
A sincere thank you for taking the time to make the inquiry on this and for providing the official response from JVCK/EFJ on this. It really is appreciated!

celltech25

The 5x30 series was launched to pacify some state grant people that required the radio to only do Analog and P25. They would deny any grant that asked for the NX5000 series and require the older 5220 or the newer 5230 or there UHF equivalent.

And I know that's dumb as can be I guess they don't want true interop

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
The 5x30 series was launched to pacify some state grant people that required the radio to only do Analog and P25. They would deny any grant that asked for the NX5000 series and require the older 5220 or the newer 5230 or there UHF equivalent.

And I know that's dumb as can be I guess they don't want true interop
This is a Kentucky Problem the grant guy here is a motorola trihard for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.