Converting a CB ant for Scanner and 160Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_PHX_APP

All,
I found a Ratshack mag mount CB antenna a few weeks ago and was wondering if anyone has converted one to the rail band? I opened up the load coil and could re-wind it if I needed to, but I have no test gear to check it, so details may be needed... Not a big deal to do this, but I thought I would see what others would say about the idea. I figure I can by-pass the coil completely and cut the rod to x". BTW, the whip is about 54" long as is. Any comments? Thanks in advance...
Later...

Scott_PHX_APP

I thought of that and thinking a bit farther ahead, I'm thinking I'd like it to work in the 2M band and the RR stuff. Any ideas on doing that with a different coil? Thanks for the input "digitalanalog", all is welcome...
Later...

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
It's an interesting thought but......
Why not just use a real scanner or ham antenna and look more professional then a wannabe radio person on CB?
I would say just keep cutting the coil shorter untill the reception gets better on 2m or the WX channel and also use a SWR meter to transmit on 2 meter to tune it for 2m if your licensed to transmit. Sounds like a fun project. i always used to tinker looking for the best reception until knowing where to buy real antennas. It's a fun learning experiment. Like babies learning to talk just making sounds just because it sound fun. Though its good to know about antennas as you tinker to get better results. Before i knew where to buy handheld antennas I just made my own flexible whip antenna out of wire and electrical tape, then found out about heat shrink tubing and wrapping wire around a dowel rod connected inline to the 2nd generation antenna and eventually from trial and error got it working great for the RR band and also UHF freqs. tons of years later after being a ham i had my antenna analyzed and found it resonant with good SWR at around the RR or WX band!!!! talk about either lucky or good!!!!! Though i tried rebuilding a base antenna for unknown freqs into a 2m 5/8 wave rewiring the coil and never could get it right. but i was doing it indoors and i bet it was getting messed out from metal in the house.
Eric Burris, kc0ldt.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There was once an article in a ham magazine that showed how to convert a base loaded CB antenna into a VHF 5/8 antenna cut for the 2 meter ham band. It involved rewinding the loading coil, and trimming the whip to the right length. So... it IS possible... try a google search on that particular angle and see if anything pops up.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What is possible isn't always practical, use the proper antenna for the job and save yourself a disaster. The fact you even proposed the notion of modifying a CB antenna without a clue as to how to go about it tells me you're much better off staying in familiar territory, leave engineering to the engineers and spend a few bucks for satisfaction.

Scott_PHX_APP

Thanks for the comments and ideas everyone. I thought I remember seeing or hearing of an article to modify an antenna for 2M, but didn't remember where I saw/heard about it. I'll try Google on that one. As far as buying an antenna and being done with it goes. Yes I could do that, but I already have what I need. The idea was just a little fun project and nothing more than that. As far as engineering goes, I understand the principles behind how it works and such, but since I don't have any equipment to test with, I thought someone might have a few instructions/"I've done this" kind of thing. After all, this IS how we learn and better understand things. Anyway, I do appreciate all the input and will do a little more research in addition to keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks again to all that replied.
Later...

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah Scott, you THOUGHT you remember and that's the whole problem, you think too much. (;->) Seriously, probably what you saw was a construction project and for example the ARRL publications are full of antenna projects. I have some serious doubts anyone would publish an article on converting a CB antenna to 2M unless it was in an April issue of QST.

I just HAD to say that, a few years ago someone wrote an article on building the "perfect" mobile antenna. When I looked up a certain MFJ part number it turned out to be a dummy load. APRIL FOOL!

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Yeah Scott, you THOUGHT you remember and that's the whole problem, you think too much. (;->) Seriously, probably what you saw was a construction project and for example the ARRL publications are full of antenna projects. I have some serious doubts anyone would publish an article on converting a CB antenna to 2M unless it was in an April issue of QST.

I just HAD to say that, a few years ago someone wrote an article on building the "perfect" mobile antenna. When I looked up a certain MFJ part number it turned out to be a dummy load. APRIL FOOL!

I seen a thread on this forum a few months back about converting a Wilson CB antenna to the 2 meter version. Wilson makes 5/8 wave 2 meter antennas. the only main difference is the coil. you chop out a portion of the coil and the CB antenna becomes the 2 meter version.
i did a yahoo search and can't find that mod. hmmm.....

I also found this thread http://www.eham.net/forums/elmers/96807
Eric Burris

Scott_PHX_APP

Eric,
That's the ticket! Thanks for the link and info. Warren, I think you need to wind your calendar, it may have stopped? :D :D :D Remember, I'm not planning on transmitting on this thing, just receive only so not a major issue if I don't get it right on the money. Thanks again to all that replied.
Later...

Status
Not open for further replies.