Converting RID to UID

Status
Not open for further replies.

feedus

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to convert RID from a PSR 800 to UID for 996p2 to use.
I notice on the trunk system I listen to on my 996p2 it has a 7 digit unique ID. But the file I got from a friend all the ID from his PSR 800 are 3, 4 or 5 digits. just wondering if there was a way to convert the PSR IDs to the 7 digit ones

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One uses decimal, the other uses hexadecimal. The number is the same, It's just the display format that's different.

feedus

Premium Subscriber
One uses decimal, the other uses hexadecimal. The number is the same, It's just the display format that's different.
so how do I figure that out. sorry I dumb about this. I tried to convert the numbers and it wont work for me.
is there software that will make it easy to convert them

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There are hexadecimal converters online. Hexadecimal numbers use A-F in addition to 0-9. If there is an h at the end, its not part of the number, it's just a flag to indicate hexadecimal.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
And I think you have to add an "i" to the front of the Unit ID Number for this series of scanners.

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
RID and UID is the same thing. My PSR800 has the RID's in Decimal form. So do my Uniden Radios. Uniden just calls them UID.
If a radio has them as HEX there should be a way to automatically change that in the settings menu of the radio.
The RIDS/UIDs can start at 1 and go to 10 and 110 and 1001 and 10001 and so forth. If none of the ones in the PSR800 have letters in them they are already in Decimal form.

Is there a way to convert RID from a PSR 800 to UID for 996p2 to use.
I notice on the trunk system I listen to on my 996p2 it has a 7 digit unique ID. But the file I got from a friend all the ID from his PSR 800 are 3, 4 or 5 digits. just wondering if there was a way to convert the PSR IDs to the 7 digit ones

feedus

Premium Subscriber
Ok they are in Digital no letters in them. But what I cant figure out is none of the numbers match up.
this is my example
Uniden
UID 4366538 Chief 41
PSR 800
179 Chief 41
This is where it has me totally confused.

I have a feeling that his files are older and we had upgraded our Motorola radios to a newer version, so this maybe the reason for the confusion.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If there are no letters in any of the numbers, then it's not a hexadecimal thing, one of the lists is obsolete. RID and UID are the same thing.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
they aren't the same thing - RID is Radio ID, UID is User ID. One radio could be shared between users so if you are cataloging this, you have to pay attention to both. Mike

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Correct. On a scanner RID & UID are the exact same things. UID is just Uniden's way of doing it so they will not have a battle in court. In an actual radio the RID is always the same, but each user could have a unique UID as an added security feature. But again, in scanners, as well as UniTrunker etc... RID & UID refer to the same thing, the RID.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
they aren't the same thing - RID is Radio ID, UID is User ID. One radio could be shared between users so if you are cataloging this, you have to pay attention to both. Mike
I'm pretty sure UID is Unit ID and they are the same as others have pointed out.

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
In some small departments radios are used by different units.
Besides that I'm sure Chief 41 uses more than 1 radio. Probably 3. He has 1 in his car and 2 portables.

Ok they are in Digital no letters in them. But what I cant figure out is none of the numbers match up.
this is my example
Uniden
UID 4366538 Chief 41
PSR 800
179 Chief 41
This is where it has me totally confused.

I have a feeling that his files are older and we had upgraded our Motorola radios to a newer version, so this maybe the reason for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.