Convicted felon and FCC license

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
This is not true. Do they investigate anyone’s character other then a felony conviction? Plenty of people have bad character standards that are not felons that have a ham license.

You are conflating the licenses of public broadcasters with those of amateur operators. Broadcast licensees can affect large sectors of the population served in the license area. Amateur licensees affect nearly no one in the public sector, except other hams with personality disorders [not a small number] and those hams who have to endure them as part of the hobby.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don’t understand. Why can’t a felon talk on a radio? Should we also not allow them to have a phone? Geez it is just a radio you can do 10 times more harm on the internet with 1/10 the effort if a felon really wanted to continue in their ways. If it was a radio related crime like calling fake distress calls on a radio or causing harmful interference to public safety or aircraft ok , If it is not for a radio related conviction who cares.
You make a great point but you must understand that logic has never been held in high esteem by the federal government.

prcguy

Look again at post #70, apparently the FCC wishes to hold amateur operators to similar standards as public broadcasters.

You are conflating the licenses of public broadcasters with those of amateur operators. Broadcast licensees can affect large sectors of the population served in the license area. Amateur licensees affect nearly no one in the public sector, except other hams with personality disorders [not a small number] and those hams who have to endure them as part of the hobby.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Look again at post #70, apparently the FCC wishes to hold amateur operators to similar standards as public broadcasters.

Are we talking the station license holders, or are we talking shock DJ's, Howard Stern's, or the Rush Limbaugh's of the world?

Personally, I think broadcast radio went down hill when Dr. Johnny Fever proclaimed "BOOGER!" on the air...

prcguy

I'm good with what the FCC does. If they deny all felons a license that's their choice. If they let child molesters get a license I wont be happy but I suspect the molesters with be dealt with on the air and in public by angry parents.

That is the FCCs answer, my answer is yes they should be allowed to talk on a radio. What is your answers?

This is not true. Do they investigate anyone’s character other then a felony conviction? Plenty of people have bad character standards that are not felons that have a ham license. Anyway I disagree that a felon should not be allowed to talk on a 2 way radio. If they use the radio for illegal purposes then charge them with the crime they committed.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Do they investigate anyone’s character other then a felony conviction? Plenty of people have bad character standards that are not felons that have a ham license.

Can't answer that, I don't work for the FCC. I'm just sharing something I found on the internet that seemed related to the conversation.

Duckford

Some of the Hams I know from some dark internet BBS's seemed to have been part of the whole Madera 20 meters war.

Anyways, the people they talk about are quite interesting. Namely a man whose callsign is N9OGL. I guess he's been arrested for making threats on multiple occasions, and has had problems as a Ham. Apparently, he even made violent threats towards the FCC director herself!

I guess he had a red flag on his renewal. Guess waht? Granted.

Maybe you have to murder someone? Twice?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The FCC is a bad joke. They only cater to the telecom cartels and corporate America. Amateur radio enforcement is not profitable. Hell, they don't even lift a finger when part 90 protected spectrum used by public safety gets jammed- ask me how I know. The onus is on the licensee to find, hold responsible, and prosecute under state law any violations.

The ham radio stalking case I am familiar with mirrors that situation. FCC employee (also a ham) got into a disagreement with the fellow ham, the local law enforcement agency was contacted, warrants issued, court case resulted in a felony conviction for stalking. Same ham renewed their license in 2017 without any "red flag" from the FCC. Consequence free USA applies here.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I guess he's been arrested for making threats on multiple occasions...
This thread is about convicted felons and FCC licenses. An arrest does not equate a conviction. Unless N9OGL was convicted of a felony, it's off topic for this thread.

I'm ok with the FCC reviewing licensees with felony convictions to see if the situation would have an impact on their activities as a licensed amateur radio operator. The general public usually does not know all the circumstances of an arrest, conviction, and subsequent FCC review. But, that sure as heck doesn't stop people from speculating.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I won't post any details, it's easy enough to find.
Why? It really aggravates me when people do this online. "Oh, it's true, but I won't post the details." Baloney!

And, you've also fallen into the "I've made an assertion, but I won't back it up and if you want to know you can look for it" attitude that I find so often on the Internet. It's not my problem to go look for proof of your statement. It's your problem.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
TIME TO CLOSE!!!! You're all talking in CIRCLES
Not yet. AK9R's calling someone's bluff. After that, the thread may get back to normal (whatever that is here).

Duckford

Not a felony but a misdemeanor according to official public record, convicted of a class B misdemeanor of harassing communications.

You are right. I guess those who claimed he was a convicted felon were wrong, and either a jump to judgement or a purposeful slander by those who hate him.

Still, he had two official warnings from the FCC about pirate radio stations, had pending license review on before. Was red flagged this time for I think two weeks on the recent renewal. His "fans" who worry about him have recordings of him breaking regulations and threatening people on air, strong use of profanity. He appears to have admitted to being investigated by the FBI and FCC for making threats.

So, yes, I'm sorry if the fact he isn'ta conivted felon is off the mark for the thread. Still, it is another example of extreme radio misuse and abuse and FCC investigation into someone without revocation or even a final refusal to renew.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yet nothing publicly available (which doesn't mean the FCC hasn't sent warnings, more often than not, these are not placed into a licensee's personal file unless it reaches enforcement bureau action such as setting aside a license, revocation, etc) on that licensee. I would be wary of posting call signs with accusations, even if the FCC contacted them, if not official action occurred and one can't prove it, then one may be going down a dangerous road liability wise.
Not sticking up for anyone, just saying- the license is valid with no publicly viewable action based upon ULS license public correspondence.

The FCC takes quite a bit to pull a ham ticket. They generally expect amateurs to work it out ourselves.

Applying broadcast standards to personal radio services is stretching it, amateur radio after all is a non-pecuniary service that, while there is some public interest value gleamed from it, is not intended for public consumption as defined by the rules. Reiterating that merely one having a felony should not preclude them from getting any license in either the amateur or personal radio services such as GMRS or even part 90. If the conviction doesn't have anything to do with misusing radio (e.g. piracy, deliberate interference to any licensed radio spectrum user, etc) than it should not be an automatic disqualification. Every license is a privilege and should something egregious occur, than the FCC should act but let's face it, we aren't Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, ComCast or ABC, NBC, Fox or CBS so do they REALLY care?

Status
Not open for further replies.