Convoy of Antique Military Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
The MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Assn) is commemorating the 100th anniversary of the first cross-county military convoy that crossed the country on the Lincoln Highway in 1919. Roughly 55-historic military vehicles left York, PA on August 10 and are scheduled to arrive in San Francisco on September 14th. The convoy is following, as closely as possible, the Lincoln Highway. Many of the convoy participants are making this journey to memorialize loved ones lost in past wars.
Lincoln Highway Map
MVPA

I was fortunate enough to greet the convoy as they arrived at the DuPage County Fairgrounds on Monday, August 19th. They were here for 3-nights and on Tuesday, August 20th all of the vehicles were on display at the 1st Division Museum at the Cantigny Park in Wheaton. I took video and still photos as they arrived at the fairgrounds and will be uploading both to the web shortly.
MVPA Show at Cantigny

The convoy has several APRS trackers which you can use to track their progress...K3ARL-10. K3ARL-12 and K3ARL-13. I believe that -13 is the advance vehicle which can be hours in front of the main body. I believe -10 and -12 are located in the main body. As of this writing (5pm CDT Aug 22, 2019) the convoy is located in DeWitt, Iowa.
APRS Map

The convoy is using GMRS radios for communications. While here in Wheaton I found them on 462.625 MHz (FM, simplex, no tone).

Below is a PDF of their schedule. If you find yourself along the convoy's route or at one of their overnight stops please take time to greet the drivers and family members and welcome them to your community.
MVPA Convoy Schedule

'73
Rich, N9DKO

Attachments

• MVPA Itinerary.pdf
    553.2 KB · Views: 94

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
hard to tell. the APRS station in the convoy has been showing them near Omaha since 8/25. Their schedule has them en route to Fallon NV today.

Markinsac

One of the other trackers is still active - K3ARL-12 - they are in their 2nd day of rest at Fallon. Appears to be on schedule. Trying to see if I can get over to see them. Will take Dad if I can - he would have been a baby when the original one came through Nebraska.

packratjohn

Premium Subscriber
One of the other trackers is still active - K3ARL-12 - they are in their 2nd day of rest at Fallon. Appears to be on schedule. Trying to see if I can get over to see them. Will take Dad if I can - he would have been a baby when the original one came through Nebraska.
Can you update? I'm in Fernley and they'll pass through here, if they haven't already. Listening on GMRS.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
the itinerary is in the first post which shows they are scheduled to be in placerville, ca tonight. if the vehicle with the k3arl-12 tracker is in stockton, ca now which is tomorrow night’s stop. the k3arl-10 tracker is listed as in the tail end convoy vehicle and it too is in stockton. best guess...they’re a day ahead of schedule.

21Eugene

the itinerary is in the first post which shows they are scheduled to be in placerville, ca tonight. if the vehicle with the k3arl-12 tracker is in stockton, ca now which is tomorrow night’s stop. kroger survey the k3arl-10 tracker is listed as in the tail end convoy vehicle and it too is in stockton. best guess...they’re a day ahead of schedule.
Thanks much. I'm OCD so I think about things most people dont even consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.