Cool HomePatrol-2 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, this is cool for me for a myriad of reasons. Back in the 80's there was a guy who had fitted out his recumbent bicycle with amateur radio, GPS, computers...called it Behemoth (final weight was hundreds of pounds). He rode it over 17,000 miles, and wrote a blog back before there were actually blogs detailing the technology as well as the experience itself. He was written up in magazines and had some TV exposure. I totally lost track of him, but he posted a link to this on Facebook, today and it brought it all back.

https://microship.com/datawake-scanner-installation/

I copied him a bit on my bicycle, but am not worthy to even say I was close. At one time I had a 2M antenna mounted on the back, and I'd use my HTX-202. I have almost always mounted a GPS on the handlebars (but now they fit into my wristwatch or phone). I took the antenna off, eventually, as I really didn't talk on the radio that much when I rode...and it would thwack me in the back if I had to make a sudden stop. Actually, it would thwack-thwack-thwack, as it was a 5/8-whip and one thwack was just never enough for it..

Anyway, it was a really cool trip down memory lane and fun to see that he's still quite active in the (extremely advanced) Maker space. By extremely advanced...well, read his blog linked above. He's moved on to ocean-going vessels. With a holodeck.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Note the GPS feeding multiple units as well. Including marine and nav units. (we have both mentioned that previously)/

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
That's awesome. I plan to mimic this in my next Yacht. Now if we only had DMR and NXDN updates to make the HP-2 sea worthy.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
Cool I remember that in arrl magazine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.