copying data from other sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've had 3 instances in the last day of folks copying data from sources that have nothing to do with radio, and/or posting a heckuva lot of data of unknown origin in the NY state area.

Members are reminded to NEVER copy data directly from another source without getting permission first. In addition, non-radio related data is NOT welcome here. Copying data directly from wikipedia or other such sources will be treated as spam, and dealt with accordingly.

If you have a large amount of data that you wish to place into the wiki, it's far and away better to simply link to it. Doing so places the burden of updating it on the original website.

These policies are outlined in the wiki user's manual - new members are strongly encouraged to read it and if you have questions about something there, please ask. With over 4000 articles, it's easy to let scope creep pollute the wiki.

73 Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dave it would help greatly if you would scan the NY counties in the wiki and see if any of that data comes from your website.

I have no problem - and I'm sure you would agree - if someone were to post links into your website, but outright copying data is plaigerism, and it won't be tolerated here. This is the policy as defined in the user guide. If any of this is data copied from your site, I will torpedo it.

73 Mike

D

DaveNF2G

Directly lifted from NF2G.com (you can view the original documents there - they are identical):

Erie County Buffalo FD apparatus list
Chemung County fire list
Rensselaer County fire list
Washington County fire list

I suspect any FTO lists as my website is the only known (to me) online source.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'll start taking a look at this tonight. Thanks and sorry for the inconvienience 73 Mike

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just for the record -

Nobody has permission to copy any data from NF2G's Forensic Scannist Pages to RR or to any other site.

Wow... I certainly don't approve of our members just blatantly copying data from other's sites without permission, however it looks like if I wanted to maybe include something from your site on to ours, I know what the answer would be if I asked :roll:

Just for the record, everyone (including you DaveNF2G) has my permission to copy any data from radioreference.com to your site or any other site.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In Dave's case, I will replace the copied data with links into his website. That is consistent with policy as defined in the user's guide. Obviously I can't police 4000+ pages - the membership has to be counted on to use common sense and good judgement, but sometimes things fall through the cracks.

73 Mike

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

DickH said:
Wow... I certainly don't approve of our members just blatantly copying data from other's sites without permission,...

What action, if any, has been taken about it?

Dick, what exactly are you asking?

DickH

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Dick, what exactly are you asking?

Disciplinary action?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator

Why would you ask that?

DickH

Why would you ask that?

I tried to send you a PM, but you don't accept them so I'll say it here.
Recently i received a warning (?) dressing down (?) because I posted a tongue in cheek message about someone who continually sends superfluos, unsolicited PMs. I would expect a plagiarist to receive similar treatment. You may reply by PM if you wish.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator

That's what I thought... a typical set of "DickH" off topic posts in a thread thinly veiled as a complaint against management. I don't want to hear any more of it Dick.... I've told you before and I will tell you again, stop being a Dick.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Directly lifted from NF2G.com (you can view the original documents there - they are identical):

Erie County Buffalo FD apparatus list
Chemung County fire list
Rensselaer County fire list
Washington County fire list

I will examine the FTO stuff tomorrow, but I've taken these 4 off the wiki and replaced them with links to the appropriate pages. If they are an exact copy I will do likewise and replace them with links. 73 Mike

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
That's what I thought... a typical set of "DickH" off topic posts in a thread thinly veiled as a complaint against management. I don't want to hear any more of it Dick.... I've told you before and I will tell you again, stop being a Dick.[/QUOTE]

Ok, sorry, but the last line was funny..........

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
The way I understand about copy write laws from my web site agreements is that the information (I.E. Tones,Frequencies, Pl/Dcs) Can't be copy write protected. Its the same stuff the phone company phone book's phone numbers can't be copy protected either. But any non-public information (I.E. Web design, Personal information, Book writing or Story board, Company history, ect.) Can be protect to a extent. So please stop acting like children and grow up. If it really that important to you that no can copy your "aka" work then lock the copy and past option on your site.

There!!

$00.02 there's my two cents....

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The way I understand about copy write laws from my web site agreements is that the information (I.E. Tones,Frequencies, Pl/Dcs) Can't be copy write protected. Its the same stuff the phone company phone book's phone numbers can't be copy protected either. But any non-public information (I.E. Web design, Personal information, Book writing or Story board, Company history, ect.) Can be protect to a extent. So please stop acting like children and grow up. If it really that important to you that no can copy your "aka" work then lock the copy and past option on your site.

There!!

$00.02 there's my two cents....

Pretty much, yeah....the information itself is free and public, the formatting and presentation you use to present it is copyrightable. Basically, anyone can take the frequency information, but when it's taken verbatim, including the table, categories or however you subdivided the information for presentation, it becomes an infringement issue.

As far as disabling the right click......I can't believe people still believe that this works. All you have to do is view the source, or copy/paste the source into an HTML editor and you can freely copy/paste the info.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Just for the record -

Nobody has permission to copy any data from NF2G's Forensic Scannist Pages to RR or to any other site.

Dave,

Please keep in mind that nearly all of the info on your site was submitted by users like me, including the tone plans. You don't own that data, nor do you have exclusive rights to it. I reserve the right to post that info on any site of my choosing, including here on RR, which I have done for Rockland County and plan on doing for Orange County. In the case of Rockland, I have direct access to the official tone plan, and in the case of Orange, over the course of the past year or so, I have painstakingly verified every single tone personally. In fact, I have found quite a number of errors on your site, which I was going to submit corrections for but now I am thinking twice about doing after reading your post here.

You really ought to be more community-minded rather than constantly asserting that your site is the be all and end all for NYS scanning information. This is not the first time you've taken that stance and attitude, a number of your posts in the NYS section are curt replies like "Or you could've just checked my site"

To ka3jjz and Lindsay,

Please don't start deleting data simply because it also exists on Dave's site. If I post the identical data here on RR that I've submitted to him for inclusion on his site, past or present, that is my choice to do so. He can't claim copyright infringement on data that wasn't even his own work to begin with. Nearly all of the data on his site and RR is factual public information which is readily available, and therefore not subject to copyright protection. It goes without saying that the information on Dave's site and in the RR NYS counties should be nearly identical, otherwise someone's database has inaccurate information.

Thanks

Last edited:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Wow... I certainly don't approve of our members just blatantly copying data from other's sites without permission, however it looks like if I wanted to maybe include something from your site on to ours, I know what the answer would be if I asked :roll:
Darn it - and I was hoping we could get his "unknown" freqs for the nursing home, orchards, and septic service into the RR database.

Status
Not open for further replies.