Corbin 911 center to replace outdated radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnCowden

Corbin 911 center to replace outdated radios

By Becky Manley / Staff Writer

During stormy weather, Corbin’s 911 Center often handles an increased number of calls while dealing with a frustrating — and potentially dangerous — problem.

“When it rains, the current (radio) system sounds like bacon frying,” Corbin Police Chief David Campbell said.

The outdated radio equipment will soon be replaced since Corbin has been awarded a grant of about $275,526 from the Kentucky Office of Homeland Security.

The money will be used to purchase and install new radio equipment in the 911 center as well as to replace mobile radio units in police cars and hand held radios, according to David Alsip, chief of communications for the Corbin 911 Center.

Campbell said the upgrade is critical for police officers who rely on the equipment as their “lifeline” when in potentially dangerous situations.

“We could get an officer injured,” Campbell said.

Alsip, who estimates the current radio system is at least 12 years old, said the equipment isn’t capable of contacting emergency agencies outside the city, including county sheriff’s departments and state police, forcing dispatchers to try and contact them by phone.

“It’s hit or miss by phone,” Campbell said.

Those contacts can become vital in emergencies that involve multiple agencies, such as during severe storms or after the anhydrous ammonia leak that happened last December at the Corbin Ice Factory and forced the evacuation of the surrounding area, Campbell said.

Corbin city representatives have already met with state officials to determine the details of how the grant will be administered. Campbell said the city should soon take bids for the equipment. Installation should take about a month.

The upgrade will bring the city into compliance with the federally mandated digital narrow band upgrade that becomes effective in 2013, Alsip and Campbell said.

This may be NXEDGE and as for talking with KSP and knox county i dont really know how they would knox county is UHF analog and KSP is P-25 UHF

SCPD

QRT
That's funny

...“When it rains, the current (radio) system sounds like bacon frying,” Corbin Police Chief David Campbell said...

Let's think this one thru. Something's getting wet. The systems about a dozen years old. Hey, I got an idea, let's try a new antenna and feedline. Isn't this what any ham would try first if they had an antenna and coax up for 10 years, and the match goes crazy when it rains out? What would that cost, a couple thousand at the most? Use the FD's ladder truck and it would cost even less.

But wait, what I am I thinking?
Fix it for a couple thousand, or sell a whole new system for $275 thousand.
Must of been a tough decision for the radio vendor to decide which option to suggest to the City of Corbin.

I wonder if any Corbin amateur radio operators read that article, went down to City Hall and said "Um, excuse me, we need to talk".

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if any Corbin amateur radio operators read that article, went down to City Hall and said "Um, excuse me, we need to talk".
Good thought but I am thinking with all the Federal money floating around no one in a local government is going to do what should be done routinely... New coax isn't as sexy as new radios... it is too easy to buy a new radio system that requires specialized help to ensure job security AND awarding of a Federal Grant...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.