• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Cordless Phone Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

:) About 6 months back I was looking to purchase some new yet inexpensive cordless phones for the house. Usually Consumer Reports has some wisdom on stuff like this, but, the last article I found was a bit old (they may have newer articles now) and did not include a very important parameter....RANGE.
Just curious, can posters mention any recent purchases (on the inexpensive end of the spectrum) that you have had good results with; I'd like to get 400' out of them like I do my now-aging 900mhz Sony.

bwhite

cellblock776 said:
I dropped my home service and we use cellphones entirely now. Range? Just about everywhere.
Because of where I live, cell isn't an option.
I'm looking for cordless phone info, the kind where the base unit still plugs into the wall.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For as much time most people spend on the phone, and how long you will keep it, I dont recomend buying one based on cost. I once thought I was getting a deal at Wally World on a $14.00 GE cordless phone for my kids room, it lasted about 2 months then the battery died. The battery was more than the cost of the phone.

I have had good luck with Panasonic cordless phones and think they are tops, my old Panasonic 900mhz is still working with the original battery with years of use and no problems.

I skiped the 2.4ghz and upgraded to the Panasonic 5.8 so there would not be any conflicts with my wifi network. My Panasonic has many features that are really handy, like a speakerphone in the handset, great for those customer service calls that put you on hold forever. Another feature that I like is the intercom, I will place one handset in my shack, then use the intercom feature on another handset in my Barn to listen, very cool.

As far as distance, its in the 300-400 foot range.

vsny

October 2005 Consumer Reports:
#1-Uniden DXI 986-2 900 MHZ
#2-Uniden DXI 7286-2 900MHZ/2.4Gig
#3-Vtech ev2625 2.4Gig digital
#4-GE 25840GE3 5.8gig / 900MHZ

Need more info and I'll email the entire article to you.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I also like to include the reviews at amazon.com as part of my homework, before purchasing.

John_M

The range is good I walked all the way across the parking lot once and it had to be at least 300 feet and phone was working perfectly. The phone also has very bright orange LED's for the displays.

spadoinkle

I figured folks on this board would at least recommend digital spread spectrum phones for a tad more privacy, but since no one has already... I use a 2.4GHz Olympia Spread Spectrum phone and it has worked well. Only problem is that the handset display died, seems to be a common problem on the model I got on clearence. Otherwise range is great considering my neighborhood consists of 2-story brick buildings on all sides of me. I have gotten at least 100' away without any issues, never really tried much futher but expect it would go further. It doesn't cause my WiFi network any real problems either. I've held the phone right next to my 802.11b card during an active transfer, the connection speed slowed down to about half but recovered once I got the handset a foot away from the card.

Mine doesn't seem to be available anymore, this seems to be the updated version:

OLYMPIA 5.8 GHz Cordless Digital Spread Spectrum Phone
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4066264&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.WAV+OL5860

vsny

Quote from Consumers Reports: "Digital is more secure & immune to interference.Slightly longer range than analog.Up to 10 handsets can serve as extensions.
Identified by wording such as "digital spread spectrum-DSS" or "frequency-hopping spread spectrum-FHSS."
BUT voice quality often isn't as good.Most can disrupt wireless networks & other devices operating on the same band."
End quote.

wyldman

Panasonic makes some nice small handsets,with awesome battery life.They last for 7-8 days and I use them all the time.No other unit has ever come close to that.They are smaller like a cell phone,and use digital technology.They use Ni-MH batteries too,so no memory effect,and long life.

I bought a set,which has two phones,with one base station,and and extra charging cradle for the second phone.Range is really good,several hundred feet even outside the house.

The model I have is Panasonic KX-TG2424CB.I would highly recommend them.

These units also DO NOT affect any of my wireless B or G systems when in use.I have tried many others,and all of them affected my wireless.

The only pet peeve I have is the belt clip is kinda poor.It will come off the phone too easily,and it doesn't stay when hooked on a pocket,it will slide off.I use these in my shop,so my usage is probably extreme compared to most.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
The best cordless phones are the ones you can hack and make, yourself. :twisted:

Hack the EEPROM of a cell, vary the wattage and make a DTMF trigger to tip the phone line. #=send *=end. :)

Range you ask? About a couple miles. :lol:

Check out the phones that offer multiple handsets and pretty LCDs. :wink:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php?page_id=145&form_keyword=cordless+phones&rd=1

I'd go with this one The best cheap secure phone in the world. :lol: :lol:

And of course there's always edummy, I mean ebay
<-- Link is for cordless phones.

Last edited:

John_M

spadoinkle Wrote:

Id would at least recommend digital spread spectrum phones for a tad more privacy, but since no one has already...
The U8865-2 is Digital Spread Spectrum.

The TRU8865-2 from Uniden is a 5.8 GHz phone system with plenty of features, including a second handset and charging cradle and the option to add even more. By using the 5.8 GHz frequency with digital transmission, the TRU8865-2 is able to offer a clearer signal and greater distance than traditional phones operating on lower analog bands.
Multiuser expandable, the TRU8865-2 supports up to 10 handsets on the same system (model TCX800), allowing you to place extra handsets wherever you need them. Caller-ID and call-waiting compatible, the base unit holds up to 100 caller ID/memory locations in its internal memory, while each handset stores up to 50 locations, so you can keep track of incoming calls and store the most important phone numbers for easy recall. Handsets can be used in DirectLink (walkie-talkie) mode to communicate with other handsets on the system, while a baby-monitoring mode lets you hear what's going on at another handset location.

Handset and ringer controls allow you to adjust volume levels to your liking, while an illuminated keypad makes dialing in poorly lit areas a snap. A page button makes finding a lost handset a breeze, and four-way conferencing lets you speak to multiple parties at once. Handset and base speakerphones allow you to communicate hands free, while a call transfer function provides a way to route incoming calls to another handset.

The base unit is wall mountable for added convenience, and each handset is headset compatible and comes with a belt clip. The TRU8865-2 also comes backed with a one-year limited warranty.

What's in the Box
Base and handset, extra handset and charging cradle, two belt clips, user's manual, two battery packs, two AC adapters, and telephone line cord

Product Description
UNIDEN TRU8865-2 -- The next generation of digital expandable cordless telephones is truly a quantum leap. 5.8GHz Digital Spread Spectrum Technology delivers outstanding clarity, vastly reduced interference and increased power. Transfer Memory Locations Between Handsets Intercom or Call Transfer Between Handsets 20 Distinctive Ring Options (10 Melodies / 10 Ring Tones) 10 Speed Dial Locations at Base Headset Compatible (Headset sold separately) Earpiece and Ringer Volume Controls Ringer Off Option Wall Mountable Belt Clip Included

Last edited:

John_M

Napalm Wrote:

What about having a little raised dot on the 5 button?

If blind people can use it, I think you can when it's dark.
Is that what that dot is for? I never realized they even existed. I can hardly feel it rubbing my thumb over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.