Coronavirus Amateur Radio Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Shortwave Broadcast stations may convey news information about it. Here is a website that may assist you with finding the plethora of stations, their schedules, as well as provide an indicator of how well you may hear them after inputting your location. I am not aware of a particular frequency where dedicated information is being broadcast about it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be more helpful to spell this nasty disease correctly - Coronavirus. And so far, there has been absolutely nothing ham radio has been involved in as far as I know. Certainly this is in the wrong forum as it has absolutely nothing to do with utilities or SWBC either. I'll have this moved.

I suspect there would be heavy encryption on any such frequencies so as not to throw around data that might be inaccurate or poorly researched that could reach the general population. Nutcases aside, this is far too serious to put out such broadcasts on clear frequencies without some sort of control and validation. I would think short range freqs above 30 Mhz would be involved here, certainly nothing on HF.

Mike

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, the OP originally posted this thread in one of the shortwave forums. But, his original thread title asked about amateur radio frequencies, so the thread was moved here. The only thing in the thread title that has been edited is the spelling of "coronavirus".

Also, this thread is not about patient privacy. U.S. laws do not apply in China or any other country, other than the U.S., where health care workers are dealing with this virus.

The OP hasn't been back since Sunday when he made his original post. If you have specific information about the OP's question, then please post. If you are just going to argue about U.S. laws or thread placement, take it elsewhere.

Last edited:

needairtime

As an aside, there was someone asking on a local repeater about Coronavirus, mentioned that there should be worry about it, and wanted some discussion. Well, nobody replied. Not sure if it was because nobody had any opinions about it or probably because the callsign he used did not sound legit (not sure if he was enunciating properly but it sounded like W+three letters...)

rapidcharger

AM Broadcast news doesn't count :unsure:
I'm talking the ham bands. Wherever I hear traffic, the subject of coronavirus comes up. Sometimes it is brought up in a QSO that I'm in. Sometimes I'm the one who brings it up. Truthfully, I don't hear many people about Cornovirus though. That's the plant pathogen that causes corn plants to have flu-like symptoms.

n5pwp

This is a clip from the Pandemic HF Net using ALE. The official bulletin lists freqs for other areas of the world but I just posted NA region to keep it short. If others are interested you can Google HF Pandemic Net and should be able to find the particulars for your region.
so far I haven't heard much other than soundings on the frequency I'm monitoring (10.145.5 MHz).

HFLINK SPECIAL BULLETIN.
PANDEMIC HF NETS ACTIVE IN YOUR AREA.
DATES: EVERY DAY.
TIMES: 2PM AND 8PM LOCAL TIMES IN EACH TIME ZONE.

WHO: ALL RADIO OPERATORS AND STATIONS WELCOME.
AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE AND INTEROPERABILITY GOV OR NGO STATIONS.
EVERY OPERATOR IS A NET CONTROL STATION FOR EACH LOCAL AREA.

PURPOSE: INTEROPERABILITY HF COMMUNICATIONS.

HOW: PROCEDURE FOLLOWS.
CALL CQ PANDEMIC HF NET.
TRANSMIT ALE SOUNDINGS AND NETCALL CALLS.
LINK TO OTHER STATIONS.
EXCHANGE VOICE AND ALE AMD TEXTING OR MESSAGE TRAFFIC.
IF NO TRAFFIC THEN DURATION OF NET IS 15 MINUTES.
SCAN ALE NET HFL.
SCAN AND SOUND ALE NET HFN.
CHAT ROOM AND MAP ON THE WEB AT HFLINK.NET

PANDEMIC HF NET NORTH AMERICA 4 FREQUENCIES FOLLOW.
10145.5 KHZ USB 10DALE HFN TEXTING.
7296 KHZ USB 07HALE HFL VOICE.
5371.5 KHZ USB 05GALE HFL VOICE AND TEXTING.
3996 KHZ USB 03LALE HFL VOICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.