Coronavirus monitoring: Which channels to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectrumKing

Premium Subscriber
I'm working on a project to identify & map the neighborhoods where coronavirus victims are popping up. The State isn't releasing names and addresses, which is understandable, but they should at least identify neighborhoods.

I'm wondering if I will be able to discern where these exposures are by listening to the scanner. Perhaps they are being checked up on?

Any counties & channels to monitor would be much appreciated. Especially in MoCo.

u2brent

OAMPT

Hit_Factor

I suspect there will be very little to monitor. Silent TGs might be more of a placekeeper, than something that will spring to life.

If they do it could be interesting, the people talking may not have any experience using the radios.

A disaster like Godzilla traipsing across the country will produce traffic, but the trip to a physician because someone has symptoms won't.

empire550

Premium Subscriber
It wouldn't work. The amount of false alarms picked up by EMS will drown out any actual cases. The paramedic finds out later if a patient is confirmed positive. A lot of people are calling 911 believing that they have it and don't.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I suspect there will be very little to monitor. Silent TGs might be more of a placekeeper, than something that will spring to life.

If they do it could be interesting, the people talking may not have any experience using the radios.

A disaster like Godzilla traipsing across the country will produce traffic, but the trip to a physician because someone has symptoms won't.
I'm just logging them for traffic analysis (if they become active.) MDNG as well.

joekodak

Premium Subscriber
There are posts floating around that suggest they will show "real time updates" for the spread of C19. It's a hoax and the link will infect your computer with a real computer virus. Just be doubly aware/cautious, the hysteria circulating is causing people to do some foolish things.

fredva

Feed Provider
I don't think you'll get any reliable info over the radio. For one thing, not every case has an emergency response - just somebody going to their doctor's office or the ER and waiting for a test. And as mentioned before, when you hear an ambulance being sent to an address, there's no diagnosis at the time. I've heard a recommendation over the radio that an EMS crew put a mask on a particular patient before reaching the ER, but that doesn't tell you that the person has the virus.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Here's a link to the state-by-state breakdown of Chinese virus around the country.

The numbers speak for themselves. If you think you're going to monitor EMS going from pillar to post all day and all night with this disease, better find something else to do with your life:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I heard a dispatch tone out early this morning (0230) to respond to a local nursing home for a patient with respiratory symptoms. I forget the abbreviation they used (I was sleeping,) but it started with "P" (probably "PUD.") What made it unusual was the additional tone out for the EMS duty officer (as a notification only, not to respond.)

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Amplifying my earlier comment, I'm hearing the acronym / shortword "PUI" today. "PUI" translates to "Person Under Investigation" and is used in current CDC guidance in reference to handling suspected COVID-19 infections.

pro2096HI

Analog kinda guy, surviving in a digital world
US Public Health Service and CDC will likely use the Redbook commons. FEMA will get active if quarantines go up. DHS common at 166.4625 is a safe bet. I have heard through the grapevine Pense actually put ATF in charge of the quarantines. My DHS friends were confused and pissed about it. So keep an eye on them too.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
US Public Health Service and CDC will likely use the Redbook commons. FEMA will get active if quarantines go up. DHS common at 166.4625 is a safe bet. I have heard through the grapevine Pense actually put ATF in charge of the quarantines. My DHS friends were confused and pissed about it. So keep an eye on them too.
I would also expect the Interagency Fire radio cache to be used in a federal response in some areas, and the MW-COG cache locally if necessary. Not sure if the Baltimore area has a similar cache.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I doubt anything re the virus will be out in the clear anyway - PII and all that...Mike
It already has, as far as primary responses. I've heard two calls today on the AA system, and AAMC had accepted a patient several days ago.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Two calls for confirmed cases?
No, "PUI," meaning symptoms corresponding with COVID-19 infection, but not confirmed by lab tests. I assume the dispatch / radio discussion is to make sure that first responders wear the proper PPE and disinfect their equipment afterwards.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, let's try to stay on topic. The OP is interested in monitoring public safety channels for COVID-19 infection-related traffic. Any post you make should address the OP's question.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Responses to people either infected or suspected of being infected can be heard on operational channels of the AA County TRS when and if they occur. No discrete TGIDs have be set up to separate such traffic from routine operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.