Correct Antenna for Pasco Co and Edacs Sys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
My problem, I live in Pasco County, Florida, 5-6 miles north of both Hillsborough and Pinellis Counties. Most of the public safety agencies are Edacs Systems. I have no problems at all receiving Pasco County Public Safety communications, but living so close to Hillsborough (Tampa Area) and Pinellis (Clearwater Area), it would be nice to hear them also. I currently use a Rubber Austin-Condor BNC mount on a BCD396T. Since I live in a deed restricted community that does not allow outside antennas, I want to make sure I purchase something right the first time since I'm taking such a chance. Can anyone offer any information on a small outside antenna that should do the job, or should I just settle on the fact that what I want is not possible? Tony

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Have you tried to listen to them with your current antenna, or the stock antenna?

At 5-6 miles you should be able to hear them without an outside antenna.

Program your scanner and check your reception, then consider other antenna options.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
A yagi antenna mounted in the attic, pointed in the right direction, along with good quality coax will increase your listening pleasure and you dont have to worry about the neighbors or the HOA.

webley445

Sometimes just getting an antenna outside of the house helps tremendously.

A simple rubber duck or cheap mag mount set up on the roofline can make a difference in some locations. They can also be easily hidden.

kayleesdad

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Not sure if this helps, but I can't pick up pasco's system from i-275/roosevelt area with an xt and a discone on a second story balcony. Maybe a yagi directional as mentioned above?

ngel

Antenna coverage

I use a portable 800mhz scanner antenna from Radio Shack on my pro-106 and from my location in pasco i can pick up Pasco County EDACS, Hillsborough County Edacs, Pinellas MoT, and P25 systems, Progress energy Tarpon and Clearwater EDACS, all with 3-5 bars depending on atmospheric conditions. Not to mention i receive 99% decoding signal on all pinellas P25 sites from my location.

You may have to turn on a antenuator if you have one on your model , but i am not familiar with uniden radios that much. Yes you can use that antenna for a base radio also if that what you have, it is especially tuned for 800mhz and many people including myself have reported much better signal with it vs a stock rubber duck antenna.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.