Correct Material to get me started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Hi all, I'm looking to build a small antenna for the 400/700/800 bands of public safety. Preferably a small dipole. I have some metal "electrical tubing" from a company called Allied Tube that I found. Would something like this be of use?

What other meterials would be needed for such a project?

Thanks for your help!

hill

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about building an antenna, but a horizontal dipole won't work to well for this, as you need the antenna to be vertical for this use.

WB9YBM

Hi all, I'm looking to build a small antenna for the 400/700/800 bands of public safety. Preferably a small dipole. I have some metal "electrical tubing" from a company called Allied Tube that I found. Would something like this be of use?

What other meterials would be needed for such a project?

What diameter is that tubing? At the frequencies you mentioned, a larger diameter may become an issue. Some hardware stores and most hobby shops have smaller diameter tubing (although shorter runs--so you might have to use telescoping sections of something like copper that can be soldered together to get the proper length). I've used 1/8" diameter (+ for telescoping sections) with good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.