"Corrupt" SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejnetguru

Q: I always have a "corrupt" SD card from my WS-1098 when I pull the card for programming update. Yes, I shut the scanner down properly before I pull the card.

I do not have the same problem on my TRX-1 or my former GRE PSR-800 (currently off for upgrade). I can pull their cards cleanly.

I would appear that the 1098 doesn't fully power off (and dismount the card).

Not causing any damage/data loss, the card is just marked unclean and requires a chkdsk to remove the filesystem flag.

Anyone else. have the same issue?

troymail

Silent Key
No.

Try swapping the SD card(s) between the 1098 and TRX-1 (prep each for the "other" radio first of course) ... if the problem "moves" from the 1098 to the TRX, it's just a bad card that needs to be replaced.

AC9BX

I (as others) have found some cards seem to behave better than others. (I have the WS1095) I had frequently had a corrupt card much as you describe. I was having an issue with one file being locked. You could read from the card but not write nor delete until running a 'repair'. Even some that should be top quality media don't seem to get along with the radio. They work perfectly elsewhere. (the Lexar card my radio came with was indeed defective, surprising for Lexar) I've been using a PNY Elite 16G and it's been perfect. Even with a couple of power failures it hasn't gotten corrupt. Your mileage may vary. Many recommend SanDisk. I used a SanDisk 8G and it wasn't very reliable. A 2G Kodak (made by somebody else) worked very well but the card is just too slow for my level of patience. A PNY 'professional' 16G didn't seem to work very well. I tried Patriot, Kingston, Gigastone, various sizes and classes. I don't recall which worked and which did not but I can tell you behavior was not equal.

bailly2

run check disk (chkdsk) on windows. helped me. if your connecting a radio to a windows computer select safely remove before disconnecting

Ed6698

I just picked up several of these Sandisk sd cards from Best Buy on their website. So far these are working fine, they are Class 10, but not the real fast ones, around $7 each. I don't need large GB sd cards for my 1095 and the lower GB cards are getting harder to find at a decent price, when bought from a reputable place.

Attachments

• sd card.JPG
    sd card.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 168

mejnetguru

I think folks might have misunderstood my inquiry, I was having issues only with the 1098, I could use the SD card normally elsewhere without issues.

However, I found the problem. PEBKAC. Normally with my handhelds (TRX-1, 1080) I shutdown, pull the card, etc and connect to PC for copy, ejecting after copy. After that I will connect the cable to the scanner so I can get the clock back in sync, update the firmware if needed, etc. Muscle memory then reminds me to eject the card again.

The 1098 has the base form factor and I had just been zoning out when doing the cable step, and forgetting to eject the card.

D'oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.