Corrupt Sd Card

wowologist

Certifiable
Unless the ws1080 is different then the ws1098 / trx-2 (I have both) which use an EXT hybrid filesystem for their SD cards; using windows error checking/repair will damage the card as it (windows) will only be able to access and "check" the boot portion of the card. If you use the utility provided in the latest version of EZ-SCAN and it returns disk unusable or damaged - chuck it - SD cards are like less then a bottle of water...I just got a 32 pack of 16GB HC1/10's/A1's for like 18.99 2-day delivery Amazon prime. I burn through them on my HP1/2 also but I record and store everything and usually ending up clearing off the card when the MAX10000 sessions prompt comes up and then using it for something else or literally cutting it in half and tossing it.

Last edited:

blues222

Unless the ws1080 is different then the ws1098 / trx-2 (I have both) which use an EXT hybrid filesystem for their SD cards; using windows error checking/repair will damage the card as it (windows) will only be able to access and "check" the boot portion of the card. If you use the utility provided in the latest version of EZ-SCAN and it returns disk unusable or damaged - chuck it - SD cards are like less then a bottle of water...I just got a 32 pack of 16GB HC1/10's/A1's for like 18.99 2-day delivery Amazon prime. I burn through them on my HP1/2 also but I record and store everything and usually ending up clearing off the card when the MAX10000 sessions prompt comes up and then using it for something else or literally cutting it in half and tossing it.
I use the latest ezscan and my sd card doesnt seem damaged. Are the sd cards you ordered class 4?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have fixed many sd cards and thumbdrives with error fixing in windows. Including the cards in my scanners and others scanners. I always have a spare new card for when I can't fix them.

wowologist

Certifiable
I use the latest ezscan and my sd card doesnt seem damaged. Are the sd cards you ordered class 4?
Honestly I don't think class 4 cards are even made anymore...I think the ISO is class 10 now for literally everything -normal- (ther are of course even more pricey and therefore more speedy) and they probably use a chip/CPU grading system...IE; make 1 million and 7/10 are top notch grind up the rest. Back when these things were designed and costed out on a spreadsheet somewhere, I'm sure class 4 was probably the medium high access and read ..now class 10 is the norm and function just fine in all my scanners. Also no need to worry about size as an adapter can be used with literally no loss in function from a micro to standard SD card size like these scanners use.

wowologist

Certifiable
I have fixed many sd cards and thumbdrives with error fixing in windows. Including the cards in my scanners and others scanners. I always have a spare new card for when I can't fix them.
I wasn't referring to SD cards and thumb drives in general ...I WAS referring to what filesystem/partitions these scanners use and it is incompatible with windows GUI repair tool. Using Fdisk and diskpart and disk utility programs for sure can handle it. Windows GUI RT will see the partitions and not be able to read them and then end up starting to mark huge chunks of the SD card "bad" (when they really arent) and really mess up the topology of the card. Same thing will happen if you put a Raspberry Pi imaged SD card into Windows...it will only "see" the partition that's a filesystem that it can utilize.

Last edited:

TailGator911

KF4ANC
Premium Subscriber
It has been my personal experience with corrupt sd card symptoms that it can be very quirky things My Icom R8600 would crash whenever I attempted a Group Scan. My Uniden 536 would just power off. Another time it just froze on my splash message. The symptoms can vary and be very sporadic and different. I had an Icom tech explain sd card problems for me and he said 'when the radio gets weird' 9 times out of 10, replace the card.