Cortland County Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

snplw

No, just here as you seem to be up on the Cortland County topic. So I assume you are hearing all the agencies as if nothing happened. I will once again try the database update, then search else on here. Thanks again for your assistance.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
You're welcome

Although I am privy to local stuff, your situation seems to be in the actual software operation itself.

I'm no expert by any stretch, and I don't have the extreme HP version, so unfortunately I can't offer much more help on that front.

Asking in the one of the other two forums will definitely get you going though. It's been very helpful for me on many topics. You can also do a search by asking/labeling something in the top right corner on this site and it will give you related topic threads. Although it is kind of hard to get it to match perfectly to what you want to find out etc., it can point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

wa2ngx

Snplw,
I didn't have any problems with downloading and getting the new system into my Home Patrol.

Are you right in Cortland? I'd be glad to help

Joe

snplw

I am right in the Village of Homer. It was found that Sentinel was out of date and that the unit was diff from the radio. I now have both to current versions, updated my fav lists but I am still only hearing Fire dispatch. What else do I need to change?

wa2ngx

snplw-
It sort of sounds as if you're not getting the correct database information for some reason:

In Sentinel, when you drill down from Database, to USA, to New York, to Cortland, to County Systems..... do you see "Cortland County Public Safety" listed there along with "Cortland, Transportation, and NYSEG" groups? That group "Cortland County Public Safety" is essentially the new system information.... you need that in the Home Patrol.

I'd be glad to help out if you'd care to meet up someplace. I don't have internet at home, so I'm in town on WiFi a LOT.... and do the Home Patrol updates and whatnot right in town, at a public WiFi spot.

It'd be much easier helping in person: I've been into scanners for a long time, but I am VERY NEW to Trunking, and VERY NEW to the Home Patrol and Sentinel software..... so it's difficult to talk like I know what I'm doing... because I'm so new to it.

Meet at McDonald's in Riverside plaza sometime? (I'm from McGraw / Solon area, by the way...)

Joe WA2NGX

snplw

Joe,
That system I do have loaded and still nothing. If you wouldn't mind the new McDonald out on Rt.13(across from Price Chopper) around 5 tomorrow night if that is at all possible. As I work in Ithaca and come back through about then. Besides radio, do I need to bring anything else. The hard drive I have the initial setup on and or a laptop? Yes the initial setup is on an external drive.

wa2ngx

McDonalds

Sure I can be there about 5pm Monday. Bring the Hard Drive, or at least a "thumb drive" with the data on it.

I have my notebook- we can use that, or if you'd prefer to bring your own....

my email wa2ngx@gmail.com .... email me there directly, and I'll send you my cell number, etc..
I'm Joe. I drive a Ford F150 w/ a blue lightbar on top, I'll likely be there inside set up on notebook.

I had a BAD incident with my HomePatrol... Let's just say it's home drying out, and my fingers are crossed, but it's not looking good. :eek:( it pains me so !!

Joe

wa2ngx

I like Success !!

Snplw:

Glad that worked out! Improvised antenna and all!
Let me know what all you're hearing-

Along w/ Fire, EMS and Law:
I was hearing snowplows check out early mornings, on a talk group ID "not identified", As well as some school buses. (I was trying to put a name with the talk group ID or User ID that shows up- and get a list to update here, and send to cnyscanner.com guys) . So much for that with my dead scanner! hahaha...

The the other fella who showed up: Nice to meet you as well.

73 de Joe WA2NGX

snplw

Unfortunately, not a thing. Been scanning now for almost 3 hrs and all that has been heard is Truxtons rescue call and that was only dispatched. I have a couple of other channels but nothing of the big time channels. (TLC I think was talking to a rig) I checked those menus and both showed activity.

wa2ngx

Oh no!

I don't have my pager on me, haven't heard any calls.

A) is this using the portable rubber antenna or external antenna?

B) I don'te even have my pager wiht me, so haven't heard any action. This time of night it should have had police jumping, at least...

If it's the rubber antenna... try your mobile antenna- I wonder if the rubber one is broken / intermittent.

Ahhh yeah, check your "Range"... make sure that's at 20 mi,... (it might have reset to 10 mi)

If no luck, please hit me up again, I'm willing to help more!

Joe

snplw

My thoughts exactly. It was the standard antenna, plus the mobile one was the same this morning. I even max'ed out the range. I am not avail again until Fri evening. Same time same place, unless I/we figure something out before.

snplw

I have comms! It turns out that with this system squelch needs to be less then 3 bars. I have never had it less than half. I now hear all the bands and some I don't care to hear.

dumma

Premium Subscriber
Have 2 digital scanners. Since Cortland Co went digital, I have downloaded new frequencies from Radio Reference & downloaded to both scanners. But nothing comes in except Fire Control! Have redone this several times & still nothing. My Tompkins County frequencies come in great. Any suggestions?

wa2ngx

Details will help

Hi Dumma:

Sorry to hear you're having monitoring issues. It sounds as if you're hearing the Fire Dispatch that goes out to the "pagers". It's 453.7375 Mhz I believe,

sounds as if the digital trunk system "Cortland County Public Service" is not being scanned, or not all the data needed has been put into the scanner.

1) what's your squelch set at? keep it fairly low, see above posts about squelch/not hearing the trunked system.

A) What type of scanners do you have? (brand and model #)

B) What's your location?

I'm far from a pro at this stuff, especially I'm new to Trunking. But, I'll try to help, and between this forum and the "scanner specific" forums hopefully you'll get to hear it soon!

73 de Joe WA2NGX

wa2ngx

"Un-Identified" Talk Groups information...

I've been listening to the Cortland County Public Service trunked system for a few weeks now.

I see one update posted to Radio Reference, in the LAW Service Type, a "City Tac 1" was added.

I've added two talkgroups:

6305 CRMC ER (Ambulance to ER at Cortland Regional Med Ctr)
6506 Marathon Bus

And I've just found a few others, maybe some of you can help figure out who they are and confirm:

6232 I heard a call referenced as "on channel 9 tac" but no idea who / what service / what agency
6223 heard a practice training excercise being conducted on this group,
6206 a fair amount of activity, I think (not sure) it'd be City Tac 2. (numerically it fits)
6038 referred to as "TLC Ops" anyone able to confirm that?

Let's keep a list going in here.. it will help everyone out !
Thanks
Joe WA2NGX

dumma

Premium Subscriber
My 2 scanners are Pro2096 & Pro 197. I live in Groton. Downloaded both scanners with Tompkins county when I got them & have had no problems

wa2ngx

Dumma:
Those scanners look as if they'd be OK.

A) have you tried either scanner while IN Cortland County? I've noticed the system "drops out" not far out of the county going toward Dryden.

B) I wonder too if the system is actually being scanned: Is the CCPS system on lockout or "ignore" ? Do your scanners display channels / groups as it scans? if so, does the CCPS system come up?

C) I'm not familiar with either of those scanners, have you tried asking in the appropriate scanner forum here on RR?

D) Do you monitor Cayuga County's Turnking System which they started on a few years ago? It's very similar to Cortland county's system....

Let us know if you find the answer... it may help others

Joe

rbm

I'm located in Broome County.

Attached is a log file of all the activity within the last 12 hours.

These TGID's were active during that time.

6001 454.625 Fire CO Fire Disp
6005 454.625 Fire CITY FIR OP1
6009 454.275 Fire HOMER OPS
6012 454.400 Fire PREBLE OPS
6016 454.625 Fire CVILLE OPS
6101 454.400 Interagency CO INTRAGNCY
6201 454.275 Police COUNTY LAW
6203 454.625 Police CITY LAW
6204 454.400 Police UPD CORTLAND
6205 454.625 Police City Tac1
6302 454.625 EMS TLC
6303 454.625 EMS MAVAC
6305 454.275 EMS CRMC
6307 454.275 EMS CAMP RESC
6401 454.400 Hwy CNTY HWY
6402 454.275 Highway CNCY WIL TAY
6407 454.625 Hwy MAR FR HR LP
6412 454.400 Highway CITY DPW

Rich

Attachments

• All_Cortland.txt
    159.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

wa2ngx

Hi Rich,

What do you use to get that nice detailed report?? That's great!

I have a Home Patrol scanner by Uniden. I've downloaded the database from Radio Reference, which has a lot of the talkgroup ID's identified.

When an "unknown talkgroup" comes on (one not in the database) it gets stored as "unknown". I'm wondering if the talkgroup ID "alpha tag" is transmitted along with the signal, or if it the "alpha tag" is stored in the radio (scanner in my case) and is brought up depending on what talkgroup ID comes across.

Your printout looks like the talkgroup ID is sent "on air" but, if that's so, why doesn't the scanner pick it up? (The home patrol, at least...) I'll have to look into that.

I didn't see any talkgroups in your list that aren't already on the Radio Reference database record. that would likely be a "tell tale sign" if you were able to capture one of the talkgroups not in the database, and see what your report says.

I've only just started playing with the "trunking discovery" feature of the Home Patrol, but it doesn't have nearly as much info (that I know of yet anyway) as your printout.

Thanks for posting it!
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.