Cost and part #'s to completely re case a 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTS3000

Had my 396XT since it was released. I'd like to completely re case the scanner. Has anyone done this before and know the approx cost of the parts. Maybe even part #'s

Parts I see needed for complete recase:
Front case
Back case
Front display bezel
Func and menu rubber cover
Data and power rubber cover
Battery cover
Rubber bumper strip.
Number keypad rubber.

Was originally going to just sell the 396XT, but not anymore. So I want to refurbish it and keep it as it's their BEST portable scanner in the past 6 years or more.

KD4UXQ

I did this last year

I ordered the parts from Uniden. Don't have the prices handy but everything was dirt cheap.

They did not have the battery door but mine was in good shape. You have to order the LCD lens separate. The LCD lens comes with the sticky back applied. There is a thin foam padding on the inside around the perimeter of the LCD lens that cushions the LCD. They could not provide this. I found some 1mm thick foam with sticky back on eBay and cut the pieces I needed. They will not have the label inside the battery compartment or the FCC sticker on the back. I was able to carefully lift my labels and re-stick them but it was not easy. The belt clip parts are also sold separate. They did not have the rubber cover for the PC interface on the side. I did not need the rubber piece over the function key on the side or the control knob. I think the most expensive part was the back case. Not sure but it I think it was $4.xx I remember the LCD lens was $1.xx and shipping was very cheap. Maybe $5 The case does not have the speaker installed. I re-used mine by prying it out of the glue. They do not have the black felt screen that goes in front of the speaker inside the case. I had one left over from a case kit I bought for a Baofeng radio. I could not get the old screen out without damaging it as it too is glued in. Also bought the top panel. It is called the escutcheon panel. The rubber bumper strip is already on the case. I also did not need the number pad.

scanningisfun

I've done this a couple times. I have the part numbers handy in a document. I'd suggest ordering a few of the plastic windows just because they are cheap, and you can have them on hand. If your rotary on top is worn out, you can replace it to, you just have to solder the new one on. The spring plate goes inside the plastic knob. I had the prices in different document, but wasn't able to find it. I believe the most expensive part is the top case, front case. They can look up parts for you on the phone too if you don't want to wait for the parts request update. You just have to describe the part.

-Plastic selector knob (#GNBZ4B9810Z)
-Spring Plate (#TSTD0200006)
-Front Case (#GCAS2EO189Z
-Top Case (#GCAS3B9809Z)
-Rear Case (#GCAS2B9807B)
-Display Window (#KDPZ4B9811A)
-Keypad Rubber (#LNBZ4E0966Z)
-Serial Port Cover (#LPAK4B9813Z)
-Battery Cover (#GCAS3B9808B)
-Rotary Switch (#BSRG0439001)
-Menu Button Rubber (#LNBZ4B9812Z)
-Metal Belt Clip Button (#METC4A3542A)
-Keypad Contact Sheet (#KNBZ3B9815Z)
-Belt Clip (#BCKVOY)

Jacob

KD4UXQ

I've done this a couple times. I have the part numbers handy in a document. I'd suggest ordering a few of the plastic windows just because they are cheap, and you can have them on hand. If your rotary on top is worn out, you can replace it to, you just have to solder the new one on. The spring plate goes inside the plastic knob. I had the prices in different document, but wasn't able to find it. I believe the most expensive part is the top case, front case. They can look up parts for you on the phone too if you don't want to wait for the parts request update. You just have to describe the part.

-Plastic selector knob (#GNBZ4B9810Z)
-Spring Plate (#TSTD0200006)
-Front Case (#GCAS2EO189Z
-Top Case (#GCAS3B9809Z)
-Rear Case (#GCAS2B9807B)
-Display Window (#KDPZ4B9811A)
-Keypad Rubber (#LNBZ4E0966Z)
-Serial Port Cover (#LPAK4B9813Z)
-Battery Cover (#GCAS3B9808B)
-Rotary Switch (#BSRG0439001)
-Menu Button Rubber (#LNBZ4B9812Z)
-Metal Belt Clip Button (#METC4A3542A)
-Keypad Contact Sheet (#KNBZ3B9815Z)
-Belt Clip (#BCKVOY)

Jacob

Nice information. They were out of the battery cover and serial port cover when I ordered my parts. I don't remember a single part being over $5.00. I also ordered 2 display windows. I think they were about $1.50 each. Definitely less than $2 each. They just can't supply labels and foam strips.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The current status with pricing:

Front case GCAS2E0189Z $8.99
Back case GCAS2B9807B $8.99
Front display bezel KDPZ4B9811A $7.50 OutOfStock
Func and menu rubber cover LNBZ4B9812Z $5
Data and power rubber cover LPAK4B9813Z $2.00
Battery cover GCAS3B9808B $5.99
Number keypad rubber. LNBZ4E0966Z $5.50

JamesO

Would be very nice if they could put together a single part number for the complete case as well as stock and keep some of these on hand.

I have done similar things with older Radio Shack scanners back in the day and I think for the hand held scanners this would be a popular purchase if the kit was under $35-$40.

KD4UXQ

The current status with pricing:

Front case GCAS2E0189Z $8.99
Back case GCAS2B9807B $8.99
Front display bezel KDPZ4B9811A $7.50 OutOfStock
Func and menu rubber cover LNBZ4B9812Z $5
Data and power rubber cover LPAK4B9813Z $2.00
Battery cover GCAS3B9808B $5.99
Number keypad rubber. LNBZ4E0966Z $5.50

Pretty darn sure I didn't pay that much for any of my parts. I was quite surprised at the prices when I bought mine last year. Looks like there was an increase. Those are still very reasonable prices and actually more like what I had expected.

UPMAN, Is there any chance of getting any of the labels. The FCC sticker on the back of mine is in sad shape. I was able to remove and replace it, but of course the sticky back was weak. I did find some double sided tape and re-stuck it, but now the clear plastic film is rolling up and coming off of it.

XTS3000

Great guys. Thanks for the part numbers. Will be ordering what's available in stock.

k3fs

Just to update a couple of the items.

Cap or serial port cover - LPAK4B9813Z - $5.00
Vol/sql knob - GNBZ4B9810Z - $5.99
Belt clip- BCKVOY - $7.50

Shipping and handling was $13.99

Cost me $75.94 to get the parts that were available for my recase job.

Status
Not open for further replies.