Cost effective base speaker for Sangean ATS-909/Radio Shack DX-398

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ok, I am looking for a cost effective base speaker for Sangean ATS-909/Radio Shack DX-398. My stock speaker on my DX-398 sounds a bit messed up after I took it out of storage and I would like to set it up again as a base receiver. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, but am willing to listen.

What do you guys recommend?

Shortwavewave

Are you wanting a non amplifiyed speaker, or a amp'ed one?

For an Amp'ed system almost any thing you see at the stores would work, like small Creative Computer Speaker Systems, or Altec Lansing.

For a non amp'ed speaker, im not real sure because I dont know the output of the phone jack, or if it has an external speaker jack, but if the power is loud enough, just about any bookshelf speaker would work, you can get a brand new set from BestBuy or Circuit City for around $20 and it would work perfect for your needs.
And radio shack sells "external speakers" at a rediculious amout of price for what they are "crap" but if you want to go that route they would work also.

a29zuk

Speaker

I picked up a pair of Insignia bookshelf speakers at Best Buy for $30. I only use one for my Palstar R30 and it doesn't hurt to have an extra speaker lying around.

Grog

Banned
Hmmmmm, $109 for the works sounds like that might be beneficial at some point. I would assume they work on the 398 as well.

I would love to be able to use it portable as needed, just in case of weather, etc...

E-Man

Banned
Kiwa is another option:

http://www.kiwa.com/ATS909.html

Addendum: It has come to our attention that many of the DX398 (Radio Shack) receivers have speaker problems. If you hear a buzzing sound on speech or a fuzziness to the sound quality, the speaker most likely will require replacement. Evidently there are many DX398's out there that have failing speakers. Kiwa offers a replacment speaker for $5.00 (does not include shipping). If you wish Kiwa to install a new speaker the cost is $16.00 (includes the cost of the speaker). Since this problem is uncommon, it is not part of the package price mentioned above.

Last edited:

KC0QNB

Are you wanting a non amplifiyed speaker, or a amp'ed one?

For an Amp'ed system almost any thing you see at the stores would work, like small Creative Computer Speaker Systems, or Altec Lansing.

For a non amp'ed speaker, im not real sure because I dont know the output of the phone jack, or if it has an external speaker jack, but if the power is loud enough, just about any bookshelf speaker would work, you can get a brand new set from BestBuy or Circuit City for around $20 and it would work perfect for your needs.
And radio shack sells "external speakers" at a rediculious amout of price for what they are "crap" but if you want to go that route they would work also.
Grog I echo this you can get a pair of altecs for under 20 bucks, and if your 398 is like my 399 it also has stereo out on FM b'cast, they are amplified, I have a set on my scanner through the computer, don't sound as good as my SB Aspire 5.1s with Minumus 7 equivalents but they work ok for radio. Can't hurt to get a set at wally world and see what you think.

As a side editorial comment, applies to all radios that are in use by the people on here, forget the "stock" speaker and go external.

Last edited:

Grog

Banned

gradu

Status
Not open for further replies.