cost of Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicdoot

I was offered a brand new Pro 96 for $350. I know they run $499 at Radio Shack new. Does this price seem reasonable?

pogbobo

brand new? in the box? yeah, thats a great deal !! ... thats the sale price RadioShack was selling them for a while back ...

nicdoot

Pro 96 price

No actually it is someone on ebay and I told him I'd rather pay him directly than to try to win a bid and that is the price he quoted me. The bid is starting out at $200 with free shipping. I knew that was too good to be true!

CStarr59

Their are several Pro-96's on ebay in the low to mid $300's, and they claim to be in new condition. It seems like a good deal if it's true. 3 of the listings are from the same seller and all the pictures are similar with photos of the box in slightly used condition. You can tell all the boxes where open and maybe demo units? It's not a bad price, if the units are in excellent used condition. Maybe the boxes were damaged in transit? Ask questions to the sellers and see what they say, it may be a good deal.

sinor35

Pro 96

I actually bought a pro 96 on ebay for $150.00 It had no sound as stated in the ad. i sent it out for repair from my local RS and it only cost $20.00 to fix it. a resistor was blown. It works great.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
sinor35 said:
I actually bought a pro 96 on ebay for $150.00 It had no sound as stated in the ad. i sent it out for repair from my local RS and it only cost $20.00 to fix it. a resistor was blown. It works great.
You were lucky. Most repairs start at a higher price.

nicdoot

Pro 96

Isn't there some software or a cable we need to download frequencies? Only one of the scanners on ebay come with one. Should I always try to bid on one that has the cable?

nicdoot

What is GRE? I know RS is Radio Shack.

I'll think about the offer. I know $350 is probably a good deal but it's a lot of money for a scanner hobby.

AndersonMBK

GRE is the maker of the pro96. It's just branded as RadioShack for retail.

I have a Pro96 for sale in the "For Sale" area. PM me with any questions.

Last edited:

jleverin

I have almost stopped looking on ebay for a pro-96. When one does come available, seems like there's a feeding frenzy with lots of bids up. I really don't enjoy fighting people over an item in an auction as I usually end up paying too much. And I'm worried I might get stuck with something that doesn't work after I paid all that money for it. Have decided to just wait until I can save the money to buy one new from the store. Really wish I had the money a few months back when they had them on sale, but just couldn't raise it. Now am hoping they'll go on sale again soon. You'd think with everything being so high, people couldn't afford to buy items like a $500.00 scanner, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Start savin'...

jleverin said:
I have almost stopped looking on ebay for a pro-96. When one does come available, seems like there's a feeding frenzy with lots of bids up. I really don't enjoy fighting people over an item in an auction as I usually end up paying too much. And I'm worried I might get stuck with something that doesn't work after I paid all that money for it. Have decided to just wait until I can save the money to buy one new from the store. Really wish I had the money a few months back when they had them on sale, but just couldn't raise it. Now am hoping they'll go on sale again soon. You'd think with everything being so high, people couldn't afford to buy items like a $500.00 scanner, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
If you're gonna save up money for the PRO-96, buy the PSR-500. Both are made by GRE, both are AMAZING scanners, both come with a 1 year warranty, but the PSR-500 comes with more features, some of which you may use now, some later. I have both. I sold one PRO-96 to buy my PSR-500, I will NOT be selling my other PRO-96 anytime soon. I got my PSR-500 brand new off eBay from Lentini Communications for $500. If you go used, you'll save $$$ on a PRO-96, but used PSR-500's for sale are few and far between. Good Luck!

WarWizard

I bought my pro 96 on Ebay on April 23. Got a charger, two battery cradles, a set of rechargable batteries and the win96 software all for $385. The seller I bought from had a few scanners and accessories for sale and I was very happy with the transaction. Especially when what looked like a brand new radio showed up at my door.

Jim

Pro 96
BC898T
BCT8

Last edited:

nicdoot

I was able to bid on a new Pro 96 scanner on ebay and won the bid for under $400 including shipping. I will sure enjoy trying it out. I had a Pro 82 but traded it to Radio Shack for a store credit as it wasn't digital so I couldn't even hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.