Cost of subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

Just wanted to know if there is any thought of changeing the rate for a subscription. I am some what intrested in getting a sub but dont think the current price is logical. 7.50 for 3 mos. is 22 dollars. I have to say thats a bit high for me. Obviously some are subs and feel the price is at a good spot. However it seems like if maybe the cost were say 1.50 a month more people would be ALOT more apt to sign up. Yes you might get more folks only signing up for a month but then again this would be ofset by the larger majority of folks signing up. Dunno, might be something to think about.

Thanks for your consideration.
Your site is next to none.

scanjunkie

It's not $7.50 per month...it's $7.50 per 3 month period, or $30 per year. That is a great price for what you get here!! If you don't think it's worth it, then don't sign up. If you had any idea of what Lindsay goes thorugh to keep this site up an running you would pay him triple or more.

jrplmil

I would like to see a magazine, monthly, bi-monthly, yearly or whatever. That would be a brilliant addition!!!!

n4voxgill

Silent Key
you never have to to subscribe. but for those that do, the value far exceedes what we pay. I supported this site before there were any special benefits. I felt an obligation to help pay for what I was using.

gatorhater

Donations are well worth making to Radio Reference. When I joined three years ago I was struggling to understand trunking. Also in that timeframe, some very needed features have been added. $30 a year may seem alot of money, but over an entire year, its very reasonable.

Hey Lindsey, Thanks for making this forum work!

cnmsales

this post really was for the owner, however it is a post so I cant complain at all the replies. I disagree, i think 30 bucks is a bit to much. Now, if there were some magazine with articles that came with the 30 dollar sub then it would be well worth it. I understand the reason for doing subs, the site has to be paid for somehow. Just wish it was done on a donation basis instead.

n3ncn

It is you can have a FREE account, just not all the good stuff that go's with it.
The money is TOO LITTLE of an amount for what we get. Have you checked to see what you get with that?

morfis

cnmsales said:
this post really was for the owner, however it is a post so I cant complain at all the replies. I disagree, i think 30 bucks is a bit to much. Now, if there were some magazine with articles that came with the 30 dollar sub then it would be well worth it. I understand the reason for doing subs, the site has to be paid for somehow. Just wish it was done on a donation basis instead.

You are free to make a donation...and if your donation equals or exceeds the subscription level you'll have access to the extra features. In my case the extra features add no value...I paid as I thought it was worthwhile. Come December I'll pay again.

JoeyC

Call it a donation, call it a subscription, but for a little more than 8 pennies a day, a RR.com subscription is a bargain!!

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
AT 30 dollars a year it is only 2.50 a month the batteries that I use for the 396 cost me about 4.99 a week I bet people pay more for a pack of cigs

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
midnightcaller said:
AT 30 dollars a year it is only 2.50 a month the batteries that I use for the 396 cost me about 4.99 a week I bet people pay more for a pack of cigs

I don't pay anything for smokes, but I've never smoked :)

I also use rechangeable batteries, so I haven't bought batteries in two years,

It's good to save money :D

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
cnmsales said:
this post really was for the owner, however it is a post so I cant complain at all the replies. I disagree, i think 30 bucks is a bit to much.

cmnsales,

thanks for the comments. I did see this thread. As you can see by the rest of the posts, for most the subscription is more than reasonable. In the course of this thread, many have pointed out that your initial observation of the subscription being 7.50/month was off (which you thought was expensive) - and they pointed out that it is 7.50 per 90 days (3 times better than you originally thought), yet, even then you still feel it is too expensive.

I don't mean this to sound confrontational, but it begs the question...Is this a case of any amount is too much, or if we made it 50 cents per year, then you would see the value? :cool:

cnmsales

LOL, well firstly my saying it was per month was a typo, For 90 days it is a bit high.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me and I assure you my post is not to flame or get anyone going but was a genuine opinion.

Let me say this. It just kind of bothers me that the site has features they charge for when the members of the site for a large majority are the ones who built the info in the database. It would make more sense to me to have it set up as a donation only type deal.

That being said, I understand that this site cost money to run, and probably ALOT so if you werent getting the funds before to pay for the site with the donations then it only makes sense to go with a pay for service in order to keep it floating.

I would say right now for what one gets with the premium side of it I would say IMHO it would be better price pointed at $4.00 per 90 days.

As far as most thinking its a fair price all but one response came from someone who is a paid sub so of course they are going to think its worth it.

I have no way of proving this out but I think if the price point was set to 4.00 per 90 days you would probably get more in the long run as more people would sub up.

Again thanks for responding to my post. I apreciate it greatly. Thank you for everything you have put together here.

K5MAR

What you'll find is that most of us who are paid members did so when it was strictly voluntary. Over the last couple of years Lindsay added some features to reward those of us who made donations. But I doubt very many of us paid our money for those features, we did it to help support a great site.

However, the level of enhancements that Lindsay has rolled out in the last 90 or so days changed the situation. Lindsay has put so much time into the added features that he felt there needed to be a firm dividing line between the free and the paid.

Remember, all the basic information is available to all. Lindsay recognizes that a lot of people who have contributed the information in the past ( and those who contribute in the future) did so with the idea that the information would be freely accessible to all. It's only if you want the extra features that are the result of Lindsay's hard work that you have to pay.

Personally, I have no use for about 90% of the paid features; about the only thing I use is the tracking select counties and trunked systems, and the occasional PDF-formatted reports. None the less, I will continue to remain a paid member. This site just blows anything else out of the water. I started scanning back in 1970, when each frequency cost $5 apiece for the crystal, and information was virtually non-existent in printed form.

Those of you who came into the hobby in the last 5 years or so have no perspective on how valuable this site is. The information available for free is mind-blowing to us "old-timers". I guess what I'm trying to say is be grateful for what you have here, even if you never pay a dime for any of the extra features.

Happy Scanning!
Mark

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
cnmsales said:
Let me say this. It just kind of bothers me that the site has features they charge for when the members of the site for a large majority are the ones who built the info in the database. It would make more sense to me to have it set up as a donation only type deal.
I think a similar analogy is to consider paying taxes. Paying taxes doesn't give you the right to control public safety or any public service, nor does it give you the right to their frequencies or talkgroups.

Plus, the subscription doesn't add access to any information that is not available to a non-subscriber. You're paying for services, not information.

-Wayne

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
cnmsales said:
Right but its services that wouldnt be there with out the information created by the public.

Anyways, I digress.

Right, but the information created by the public wouldn't be available at all without the services and platform that radioreference.com provides.

You would still be mailing in your contributions to a yearly book, only to have to pay for that book to even see if your submission was "accepted."

Lindsay

tbnmaster

I personally have never used any of the "special features" that came with the "subscription". I donated purely to support this site. The amount of information from this site that I have used is worth far more than $30.

I think there was a post a while back about ways people donate. Since I really haven't donated a lot of information to the site, I figured I can (at the very least) donate the $30, even though I don’t use the special features.

Just my two cents.......

Happy Scanning!!

n4voxgill

Silent Key
cnmsales said:
Right but its services that wouldnt be there with out the information created by the public. Anyways, I digress.

You have been a member for about a year and half. During most of that time this site did not have subscriptions, but did have voluntary donations. Did you donate a lesser amount while the site was in the donation mode?

cnmsales

Actaully that really doesnt mean anything. I may have been a member for a yr and a half but that doesnt mean I have been an ACTIVE member here. I was here for about a month then went away. Mainly because of work and all the things life gives ya. Then I started posting again about 2 weeks ago. Not that any of this is any of your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.