cost of used equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

ok Im curious, does anyone else think the cost of used equipment is a bit high? the prices most people ask especially for used ham gear is crazy, looks to be much cheaper just to buy new, Ive seen HT's on forums where the asking prices were actually more than the cost of what a new one would be !!!!!!!!! Is it just me? Im I just a cheapskate? ok Im through ranting now.....................

jon_k

I've seen people selling the VX-7R for "$300! Like new!"

I got my VX-7R radio about 4 months ago from a dealer for $300. So you're saying your radio that is like new hasn't depreciated one bit since purchase?

At that rate, why not wait until the VX-8R comes out and pay $300 for that? I'll get a new model the same price as your "like new" old model.

I've not seen a ripoff trend though. I've pulled many older radios off eBay for $100 or less. (We're taking 7-10 year old radios here though.)

How much depreciation are you EXPECTING from these items? Honestly unless I see a good deal for used, I buy new. People want too much for their items, which is fine I guess.

It's only at hamfests you get it cheap where the wives are making them throw out their "junk". You can find radios that are normally $300 or so for $100. On the internet there's too much competition to try and find an insane deal.

fineshot1

It really depends on many variables. I purchased most of my equipment used usually but not always on ebay.
I have noticed that what the op states is most often true on ebay but sometimes I have found used gear for a very good price either on ebay or some of the other used gear (qrz,qth,eham,etc.) web forums. I noticed that sometimes you can get a good price if the seller does not realize what he or she has(ie: a rare item) and is trying to sell. I found most of my commercial quality gear this way. I quess you can say the used market is a double edged sword and it can cut both ways.

n5ims

Often if you look closely, you'll find used HF rigs at near the prices for new ones, but are still a good value. The used ones have added filters, etc. that cost hundreds included. If you cost out the new price + upgrades, there's a significant savings. For the others, just let someone else pay the overly high price or wait for it to be reduced to a reasonable level.

K4DHR

I blame it mainly on eBay inflation. Same reason why alot of hamfests are just filled with junk now, everything it seems is ending up on eBay or other online classifieds. Everybody is just throwing stuff up on eBay and then a couple of idiots will bid a 10 year old rig to within 95% of what it was new. When I'm selling something, I don't complain, because I've had a couple of items I've sold (non-radio) get bid up like that before, but when I'm looking for something to buy, it sucks.

All too often people use prices on eBay to set their sale prices at on classifieds elsewhere. I admit that I do look, since it is sometimes the ONLY place you'll get a price on something, but I don't use it as anything more than a reference. I expect those prices to be sometimes as much as 25-30% higher than what you'd ordinarily get. I just don't fool with eBay as much because I can expect that 20% to get gobbled up by eBay and PayPal before I see a dime. I figure I'm just as well off asking a lower price someplace like here or on Craigslist and actually getting ALL of my money.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
So, don't buy it if the price is too high. Used equipment sells for the highest price that the market will bear. If someone can sell a 10 year old radio for 95% of the new price, apparently that's what the market will bear.

There are times when I have a specific need for an item on ebay, and if it's not available at all elsewhere, I'll bid whatever I have to to get it. It's the cost of doing business... If you can't afford to play, then don't.

As a seller, I generally put my stuff up for the minimum amount to break even, and if the buyers bid it up to an obscene price, that becomes their problem, not mine.

SAR923

Yep, that's the way capitalism works. When it comes to HF gear, in particular, there just isn't much being made now at a reasonable price so older units tend to fetch a good price. It's all supply and demand. Check how much most Beanie Babies are going for now compared to five years ago. :)

n8emr

Ebay has net set the standard for prices, People however fail to look at what something sells but only look at what its listing for. There was a Icom 2AT for $99 listed last week, Close to 30 year old design and 20+ year old radio. You can get a brand new Icom V8 for under $99 at a hamfest or for few bucks more new from most ham stores. SO someone now has the idea that the Icom is worth $99, but failed to notice it never sold. I do think in general even those that sell get sold at a higher price because of the auction mentality, Its only $1 more and I can have it additude when they would have never offered even that dollar if it was at a store or hamfest.

Anytime you look at used you need to a good handle of what is selling new. Now keep in mind items have a general price range or a minimum low, HF rigs pretty much never go under the $250-$300 mark. People seldom want to sell handhelds below $75, mobiles under $125 regardless of there age.

Let the buyer beware.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I see it here and on eBay too. Portables and some mobiles are especially over prices considering that they are older models.
Its just people trying to make money.
Try to haggle, I do it on ebay all the time(just send them a message and they can end the auction early, its in the policy that the seller can end at any time) and on forums, craigslist....etc
Most of the time people dont know where to start the price and end up putting a price on that may seem strange to others who know that model

"Nothing is easier, or more emotionally satisfying, than blaming high prices on those who charge them, rather than on those who cause them." --Thomas Sowell

If we radio geeks could get over our "RAS" (Radio Acquisition Syndrome) and not buy stuff when we think the price is too high, prices in the used market would start to come down.

Until then, we're stuck under the thumb of economic law. :D

Last edited:

elk2370bruce

I would agree that the sleazebay mentality does exist and does influence prices. There are good used (but not abused) rigs out there. For a private sale, while I prefer to negotiate and dicker eye to eye, I will offer a counter, and fair, price and see how it goes. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. There are, unfortunately, those individuals where 'Caveat Emptor" must be in your mind; whether on the internet or at a hamfest. Sleazebay has many of these individuals. For a high-end purchase price, I've gotta have a hands-on session with the rig and test-drive the beast before shelling out my hard earned duckets. Maybe its caution, cheapness, or both! My best acquisitions have been through members of the club I belong to (either directly or known to a friend).

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It is all about supply and demand

Who is to say what an "old" radio is worth? Value may be in the eyes of the seller or the buyer. As long as people are willing to pay the price asked for, perhaps the price is too low!

I've noticed that people will post a radio for sale here on RR, and when no one steps forward to pay what is asked, it is off to eBay. I wonder how many sellers regret that decision once they have to pay the (extra) fees.

Everyone complains about the high cost of fuel, but how many are voluntarily actually using less? I don't mean the people using less because they don't have funds. Apparently there has been a drop in usage .. so the supply went up .. and the cost came down. Sure the cost only came down a little, but consumption only came down a little.

It all comes down to supply and demand!

N8IAA

ok Im curious, does anyone else think the cost of used equipment is a bit high? the prices most people ask especially for used ham gear is crazy, looks to be much cheaper just to buy new, Ive seen HT's on forums where the asking prices were actually more than the cost of what a new one would be !!!!!!!!! Is it just me? Im I just a cheapskate? ok Im through ranting now.....................

I make an offer based upon the age and condition of the rig. Then when they refuse to come down in price, my line is always the same--'I guess you'll be taking it home with you.' And they do. When I sell a used radio, I figure depreciation into the price, age, wear and tear, extra accessories, and then ask myself, what would I pay for it? I come home from the hamfest with money in my pocket and less radios!

elk2370bruce

I make an offer based upon the age and condition of the rig. Then when they refuse to come down in price, my line is always the same--'I guess you'll be taking it home with you.' And they do. When I sell a used radio, I figure depreciation into the price, age, wear and tear, extra accessories, and then ask myself, what would I pay for it? I come home from the hamfest with money in my pocket and less radios!

Fortunately, most members of our radio fraternity, like the above quoted operator, offer fair and equitable prices that are agreeable to both seller and buyer. There are those, unfortunately and in the minority, that do not subscribe to the ethic.

w0fg

No one is ever forced to buy used equipment. If a used (or new, for that matter) radio is offered at a perceived high price it will only sell if, for whatever reason, a buyer finds the deal advantageous to him. If it does sell, that's strictly the buyer's business and shouldn't concern anyone else. The free market system works most of the time, and 100% of the time when you're talking about non-essential goods.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I see it here and on eBay too. Portables and some mobiles are especially over prices considering that they are older models.
Its just people trying to make money.
Try to haggle, I do it on ebay all the time(just send them a message and they can end the auction early, its in the policy that the seller can end at any time) and on forums, craigslist....etc
Most of the time people dont know where to start the price and end up putting a price on that may seem strange to others who know that model

If I'm running an auction on eBay, and I receive a request to end an auction early, not only will I refuse to do it, depending on the attitude of the asker, I may block them from bidding on my items. I'm selling it to make money. When asked to end early, I'm being asked, in effect, to take less than what the market will actually bear. I'm sorry... I won't do that.

On second thought, I'm not sorry.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's not just radio gear. I buy/sell/trade firearms, and the same thing goes on. You'll see a current manufactured hand gun for sale used at $550.00, when you can walk in most any gun store and buy it new for $595.00. In fact, Gander Mountain in Utica, Michigan sometimes has used hand guns priced higher than the identical new one in the other showcase!

Typically a gun shop will offer you about half of what you paid for a gun you purchased new a week ago. So if you paid $600 new, they might offer $300. Then normally they should sell it at around $390~$425. So an individual asking anything over that is extra profit, which they're entitled to if they can get it. But then $550 is starting to get greedy.

It all depends if you're buying, or selling!

K4DHR

If I'm running an auction on eBay, and I receive a request to end an auction early, not only will I refuse to do it, depending on the attitude of the asker, I may block them from bidding on my items. I'm selling it to make money. When asked to end early, I'm being asked, in effect, to take less than what the market will actually bear. I'm sorry... I won't do that.

On second thought, I'm not sorry.

It depends on what they offer. If its reasonable, I'll likely take someone up on it. I don't expect on everything I sell getting bid up to the moon and with eBay's latest fee hikes, there are times I'm likely to net more money

After some things I have sold personally on eBay, I'm not under the delusion that what something brings on eBay is what it would bring elsewhere. I've had some camera equipment bid up 2-3 times what it would have normally sold for elsewhere. I had a viewfinder for a Mamiya camera sell for $180 that went for about $80-90 at most used equipment dealers.

This is my personal opinion, but I think there are just a ton of people who buy stuff on eBay thinking whatever they pay is a good deal, just because its eBay. They never bother to look around for "real" prices and just bid on something until they win it. Its great for a seller for sure, but I just don't think eBay = market.

jon_k

I figure depreciation into the price, age, wear and tear, extra accessories, and then ask myself, what would I pay for it? I come home from the hamfest with money in my pocket and less radios!

I doubt your last statement.

Nobody comes home from a hamfest and wad of cash. And NOBODY walks out without a new radio!:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.