Cost to RUN a repeater site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I agree they should be but in the ham community (read "limited budget") it ain't always possible...

Let me fix that for you:

I agree they should be, but the ham mentality of cheaper is better(read "no understanding of proper RF design") it ain't always thought of... or they just don’t care.

Heck look at the proliferation of the garbage Yaesu Fusion repeaters.

If I had a penny for the times I have heard ‘but they are a cheap replacement for old stuff’ I could retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kc5qih

Amateur Radio Operator and Scanning Enthusiast
I may set up a repeater on my property. Currently the repeater is in an area that isn't getting a lot of use and it was taken down a few years ago. The owner is willing to let it be moved to my place. I live on 100 acres just 1 mile from town, and a lot of the local hams have been asking about setting up a new repeater. We currently only have 1 vhf repeater and this would allow us to have a UHF repeater to help cover the hilly terrain in our area.
All of the equipment has been tested and shows to be working correctly. The current owner is traveling for work and will not be back for up to 2 months, so I am not able to ask him these questions dirrectly. He is currently working on a new film. My main question is, approximately how much does it cost to run a Repeater site? Im not so worried about routine maintenance, but more about what it costs for electrical for the repeater, does it need to be climate controlled to an extent, etc. It will be out of the weather inside a 12x24 building, but its not climate controlled. This building is my workshop and I don't know how safe it is for me to be working in there while its in operation. I am new to this and I am only involved because I have the property to put this repeater back on the air. Im just trying to find out what im getting into.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Where are you trying to set up a repeater at? I own and operate a UHF repeater in Waco and the cost are very minimal to me but I'm very lucky in the site I have. I basically paid for the repeater/duplexer and the antenna i use is a loaner from the ham who owns the other two repeaters in the cabinet with mine. There are a lot of variables that go into it.

WB9YBM

Good point, and how that might affect insurance.
es

Speaking of lightning issues, here's some information: the March 2019 issue of CQ magazine, pages 27-9 is an article titled "Lightning Operated Switch". The article includes references that might also be of interest.

W5lz

Safety-
As long as you don't hug the thing you should be fine. Look for "RF Exposure", figure the distance for safety.

19dsniper

Where are you trying to set up a repeater at? I own and operate a UHF repeater in Waco and the cost are very minimal to me but I'm very lucky in the site I have. I basically paid for the repeater/duplexer and the antenna i use is a loaner from the ham who owns the other two repeaters in the cabinet with mine. There are a lot of variables that go into it.

If we move ahead with the repeater, it will basically be at the intersection of FM 107 and Hwy 36 in Gatesville. That's not the exact location, but close enough. As far as cost. I'm really only trying to find out operating cost. All of the equipment would not be mine, nor purchased by me. I guess it could be considered a long term loan. The previous repeater site was up and operational for a while and there really wasn't enough traffic to justify him trying to take care of it with his job. The owner works in the entertainment industry and sometimes leaves for months at a time for filming, etc. He decided to take it down rather than worry about it while being gone all the time. It has sat, unused for a few years, and he is not opposed to it moving to a new location that will see alot more use because of the much larger population than where it use to be located. So the equipment will all be provided. I'm only supplying the location and electricity as it will be on my property and my electric bill. One thing that we will have to consider is antenna height. We are on a farm and as such I prefer to run unguyed towers. Our cows have way to much fun rubbing on them and messing around with guy wires. The Tower will be located in an area that is 995 feet ASL. That's not much if we were in Colorado, but at that same location on my current 52 foot tower, I can run 5 watts simplex past the far side cove on VHF with no issues.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
<snip> One is at a USFS site and is absolutely free to us. The other is at a municipal site and costs us the exorbitant sum of $1 per year. <snip>.

Just curious, when you say at a USFS site, do you mean inside an existing USFS vault or in your own vault on USFS land?

kc5qih

Amateur Radio Operator and Scanning Enthusiast
If we move ahead with the repeater, it will basically be at the intersection of FM 107 and Hwy 36 in Gatesville. That's not the exact location, but close enough. As far as cost. I'm really only trying to find out operating cost. All of the equipment would not be mine, nor purchased by me. I guess it could be considered a long term loan. The previous repeater site was up and operational for a while and there really wasn't enough traffic to justify him trying to take care of it with his job. The owner works in the entertainment industry and sometimes leaves for months at a time for filming, etc. He decided to take it down rather than worry about it while being gone all the time. It has sat, unused for a few years, and he is not opposed to it moving to a new location that will see alot more use because of the much larger population than where it use to be located. So the equipment will all be provided. I'm only supplying the location and electricity as it will be on my property and my electric bill. One thing that we will have to consider is antenna height. We are on a farm and as such I prefer to run unguyed towers. Our cows have way to much fun rubbing on them and messing around with guy wires. The Tower will be located in an area that is 995 feet ASL. That's not much if we were in Colorado, but at that same location on my current 52 foot tower, I can run 5 watts simplex past the far side cove on VHF with no issues.
My repeater is on a 200' tall building with a total height of around 800' amsl and it has coverage from itasca on 35W to South of Troy and Carls Corner on 35E to South of Troy all the way out to Dawson and gets just about to Gatesville going west, not quite but just about. Going North west it's not as good but will work up into Bosque County and various places..the terrain up there is kind of unkind.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Along with everyone's good advice thus far, I say go for it! Allstar link that bad boy and it'll have plenty of traffic depending on what other nodes you connect to. Could also help bring new ones into the hobby if they have a local repeater connected to the "outside world". If anything, it will be a great experience. For the most part it sounds as if capitol expenses won't be much so no harm in taking advantage to further the hobby for others. Who knows...it may become a great watering hole after you're up and running. Better now than after the cell site is in and your options are more limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.