Could a scanner antenna cause cell phone problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHAWMAN24

Ok here is my antenna set-up and problem description:

I have a grove scanner beam antenna with a radio shack rotor all mounted on a 25ft tower located beside my house.

Problem: I have noticed that myself and several family members who are at my house have reception and call out problems when they are at my house. We all have cellular service with AT&T wireless and there is a cell tower located on the mountaintop directly behind my house. All of our cell phones show full bars for service , but when we try to call out the call will not go through. When we receive a call it goes right to voice mail. I did some experimenting this past weekend with rotating the beam different directions and trying to call out with the cell phone. I discovered that when the beam was pointed in the N (north) direction the cell phone worked fine. I tried it 10 times with no problems. I then rotated the beam to the E (east) direction and the previously stated problems began again. The problem also occurred at the south position. And at the west position the phone worked fine. When i walk down the street 50 ft or so the cell phone works with no problems. Is it possible that the antenna is causing this problem? I never experienced anything like this and i have been in scanning for over 20 years. As long as i have it pointed to the North it seems to work fine. Anyone have any suggestions for a fix or a possible explanation for a cause to this madness.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
shoot me a pm... give me your phone model and type...
I have an idea, but don't need this to be public info....

Your problem is my daily job, and that is my company too!

Status
Not open for further replies.