• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Could anyone help ID this antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a novel idea. Why don't you ask them? They're obviously not trying to hide it. You're smart enough to know whether they're blowing smoke.

gary123

See if you can get a set of binoculars. Even if you cant get a picture you may be able to read whats there. Even a cheap toys r us telescope would maybe help read whats there. Once you get the antenna data you can always use the telescope to keep an eye on the neighbors LOL.
I suspect its BDA of some type feeding RF into/out of the building.

Last edited by a moderator:

drgowans

See if you can get a set of binoculars. Even if you cant get a picture you may be able to read whats there. Even a cheap toys r us telescope would maybe help read whats there. Once you get the antenna data you can always use the telescope to keep an eye on the neighbors LOL.
I suspect its BDA of some type feeding RF into/out of the building.

Thanks for the suggestion. For some reason I didn't even think of that. I'll go for a walk, and see if I can chat and/or take a look with binocs.

drgowans

Thanks for the suggestion. For some reason I didn't even think of that. I'll go for a walk, and see if I can chat and/or take a look with binocs.

I gave it a try. Even standing next to the house I can't read that tiny text on the sticker with my binoculars. I don't have a telescope. Does look like the black bars are actually covering logos or something like that... like maybe it is beta test stuff and they are trying to keep it under wraps some? Anyhow the folks are rarely outside and seem to be gone for the holiday. Next time they're outside I'll stop and ask.

prcguy

If they are gone for the holiday grab a ladder.....

I gave it a try. Even standing next to the house I can't read that tiny text on the sticker with my binoculars. I don't have a telescope. Does look like the black bars are actually covering logos or something like that... like maybe it is beta test stuff and they are trying to keep it under wraps some? Anyhow the folks are rarely outside and seem to be gone for the holiday. Next time they're outside I'll stop and ask.

Cameron314

I would guess it's likely some type of bata test with the tags covered over like that. If I was guessing I would guess from some kind of small cell for Dish's new network but it could be any of the carriers. Could also be wireless internet, some like Vivint tried that and built/had built their own hardware. That seems much less likely then it being a cell carrier. First guess Dish, second T-Mobile and after that who knows.

K4RBT

If you look at the installation, it has not been professionally done. A good installation would not loosely wrap the wires around the mounting pipe. As to the information being covered by tape, it might be possible that it is a piece of Chinese whatever and is not approved by any of the
government and private entities that do this. Also, I cannot make out a ground lead from the mast of the "device" for lightening protection as required by NEC. That could get the electrical inspector for the locality involved.
It looks as if the owner did the installation. But, I have seen worse.

Ubbe

Also, I cannot make out a ground lead from the mast of the "device" for lightening protection as required by NEC. That could get the electrical inspector for the locality involved.
You probably didn't read all the post in the thread but picture 2 shows the gounding. You can see it's a multistranded grounding cable and the isolation have been stripped a bit too far. It's a crimped eyelet that are secured with a bolt to the device.

Grounding.jpg

/Ubbe

K4RBT

I am new to this part of Radio Reference. When I tried to zoom in, it only goes one step and not much improvement. I probably should have copied to pictures and used ACDSee to magnify the image. I did not see anything in the posts about the cables. Probably missed it as it was late and I tried to read without my glasses.
It may be a transceiver for wireless internet, that might explain the ref/green leds. I have wireless and they use Motorola Canopy. The transceiver is mounted to a pole to clear trees (it is 5GHz). Its output is Ethernet. Inside is the end of the cable and a wall wart with an injector
module. They did not put any leds on the transceiver to show the status as it is duplex, both leds would be on. Mine is now a medium rectangular off white box. Probably has a panel antenna inside.
That is one heavy ground lead. Do you have thunder storms with lightening in high quantity?
I would do a search for Wireless Internet equipment, there are a few. Actually I have as it is in the license free band and would make some of the long run of cables that get high induced voltage. One strike nearby (bright blue light and an immediate very loud crack) a pop came from the computer and no Ethernet port. And, the cable has two manufactured for the purpose lightening suppressors for Ethernet lines. The problem is, the pole is 125 feet from the house. The two grounds are not connected and the house one is not tied to the ground for the power coming in to the house. I should not have read the book Motorola has on meeting all of the government agencies specifications. It shows diagrams on how to install the grounding system. It is too bad that some sub-contractors do not go "by the book" and make a lightening magnet.
I am going to do grounding properly at the house I buy in SC. Might even put a halo in the attic.

drgowans

Someone asked me so I'm going to update on this... I still don't know for sure what it was. A few months ago, the antenna disappeared. I saw the owner of the house in his driveway when I was out for a walk recently. I approached him and he hurried inside and closed the garage door. Haven't had the guts with the pandemic to knock on the door just to ask about the former antenna, other neighbors that I know that live nearer to him say they are quite the recluses... I haven't forgotten about it. When the social distancing and all these restrictions end I plan to find him and ask him about it. Glad I took some pictures when I did!

wowologist

Certifiable
If I remember when we booted the Ruskis out a few years back from that compound on the east coast...If I remember correctly in a few AP photos this (same/similar) antenna/device was, what appeared to be like many other items, hastily thrown into the back of one of the moving vans they had rented to skeedaddle in. I'm rummaging through some old pics still looking...

Status
Not open for further replies.