Could Gre add this to a Firmware Update ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Can you imagine how many users would forget their passwords and have to send back to GRE for a reset? Doesn't seem like it'd be such a good idea.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
The other difficulty with a password is that it takes at least 2 keystrokes per character to enter any kind of alphanumeric string. I don't that anyone would use the feature for very long. Spend some time using the 'Find' feature and you'll see how much of a pain it is.

How about this as an alternative? You can enter your name, phone#, etc. on the Welcome screen, and that would very difficult to get rid of without a manual or software.

Another alternative would be to keep a dummy V-scanner file in active memory when you're not using the radio. When you're actually using the radio, simply load the V-scanner that you really want to use. You could do this much faster than you could enter a password.

Admittedly neither of these ideas are 100% secure, but they are easy to do and could only be defeated by a user who is knowledgeable about the radio.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

LordJ

Also, resetting the radios memory would probably erase any password..Kinda like if you reset the cmos on your computer...I'm sure there would be some way of doing that with our radio...

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
The Yaesu FT-60 implements this very well. I have a start-up password; radio is not usable until it's correctly entered.

If the password is not known or forgotten, then anyone can do a special power-up sequence that bypasses the password - but it also erases the entire radio.

If you're the owner, then you can easily re-program it assuming you use software (which I do).

If it's stolen, well...then it's stolen, but empty.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
do what the police suggest with any expensive electronics.. etch/engrave your name and phone number in it somewhere..

sure if stolen they can still use the item but it will be hard to re-sell / pawn off if your name and number are on it. Which most thiefs are selling the items not using it themselves. Also if recovered the police can call you to return it.. compared to just selling it off at a police auction.

re-sale value will be hurt too but hey thats the price you pay.

motoapco25

Premium Subscriber
I'm not worried about the resale value im worried about someone being able to listen to some of the sensitive talk groups i have a large number of Tg`s that aren't even listed on here just a simple numeric pass code would be nice

K8TEK

Banned
w4esu said:
I'm not worried about the resale value im worried about someone being able to listen to some of the sensitive talk groups i have a large number of Tg`s that aren't even listed on here just a simple numeric pass code would be nice
Yea, I am sure someone would steal your scanner just to get "sensitive" talkgroups. Have you ever heard of the search feature? It will show you the TGID right on the screen! You don't even need it to be programmed.

motoapco25

Premium Subscriber
try this crack head breaks car window steals scanner turns it on oh wow i can hear the cops on here
crack head trades it to dealer for drugs now dealer can hear all the Unencrypted traffic and in my area since they cant keep the HT radios charged and they dont use key retention only about 5% is encrypted if even that

K8TEK

Banned
What makes your radio so different from everybody else's? Any crackhead can figure out how to use the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.