Councilmembers walk out during Sekula-Gibbs statement on immigration

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpwx694

Councilmembers walk out during Sekula-Gibbs statement on immigration

03:43 PM CDT on Thursday, September 28, 2006

From 11 News Staff Reports

Click to watch video of statement/walkout

Several Houston City Councilmembers walked out of chambers Wednesday saying they were offended by comments from Councilmember and District 22 Congressional candidate Shelley Sekula-Gibbs.

KHOU

Many questioned the timing of Sekula-Gibbs statement.

After commenting on the funeral of HPD Officer Rodney Johnson, Sekula-Gibbs asked Mayor Bill White to review a current policy in which police officers are not allowed to ask someone their immigration status.

"It is with that sense of great respect that I ask that you rescind the city sanctuary policy and that you work with immigration to rescind that order," said Sekula-Gibbs.

As she spoke, the council members got up and left.

"I was embarrassed to be in the room with somebody talking like that," Councilwoman Toni Lawrence, a Republican and one of the first to leave, told the Houston Chronicle. "There's a lot of things I disagree with, maybe the way immigration is handled, federally, and this is not the time to make a comparison."

HPD's sanctuary policy

Do you think HPD should change its sanctuary policy?

Yes

No

View Results
Others agree it was inapproprite for Sekula-Gibbs to bring up the policy on the day Johnson was laid to rest.

Among the critics: Democrat Nick Lampson, Her opponent for the District 22 seat.

"Shelley Sekula-Gibbs is a long-standing supporter of the sanctuary policy for illegal immigrants," said Lampson. "She's tried to change her position over the past couple of months and back away from her liberal stance on immigration. But it doesn't work that way. She has always supported what she calls "sanctuary" policies, and it's classless for her to try and use the funeral of a police officer to pull the wool over the eyes of voters."

The issue came to the forefront after Officer Johnson was gunned down in the line of duty. The suspect, Juan Quintero, is an illegal immigrant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online at: http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou060928_mh_gibbswalkout.257f6209.html

red8

It's easy, she's trying to use this tragic incident as a way to get votes. You know election time's coming. I agree that the sanctuary
policy should be rescinded but don't bring it up on the day of OfficerJohnson's funeral that in my opinion is nothing but Anti-American liberal political grand standing. Using this tragedy to get
votes from people . When the best thing to do was to give some time
for healing. Not when the man just got buried and then bring the matter up at a council meeting.

225Texas

I wouldn't vote for this lady. In my deepest opinion, she has a political (personal) agenda. She pushes the immigration issue to far, much to far for an average candidate running for public office. I'm not calling her a racist, but I'm leaning towards that conclusion. Make what you make of it. I'm just saying she doesn't belong in any public office which represents citizens.

MK

These political discussions don't belong in the Texas Radio Discussion Forum. How about moving this elsewhere?

wpwx694

New plan, dealing with immigrants

New plan, dealing with immigrants

08:11 AM CDT on Friday, September 29, 2006

From 11 News Staff Reports

Changes are on the way for Houston police officers dealing with suspected illegal immigrants.

The “new plan” affects the city jail.

Suspected immigrants detained on minor violations will be fingerprinted.

The same rule would apply to anyone with an ID police believe is questionable.

The information will be sent to federal authorities.

Mayor Bill White said the change affects many.

“For routine traffic violations, or for people brought in for routine traffic violations.. When an officer is suspicious we are looking at the standard procedures that we use to make sure that whether it be a citizen or non-citizen if there anybody out there that’s wanted or should be wanted nothing slips through the cracks.”

This policy review comes one week after Houston Police Officer Rodney Johnson was killed in the line of duty.

Juan Leonardo Quintero, an illegal immigrant who Johnson detained on a traffic stop, is charged with “capital murder”.

Mayor White said the city will make an official announcement on the policy review Sunday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online at: http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou060929_mayorpolicyreview.2a0e7506.html

225Texas

MK, No! Don't read it if you're not interested. I would take it to the Tavern, but this deals with Texas.

pacrat551

TX Admin
Database Admin
MK said:
These political discussions don't belong in the Texas Radio Discussion Forum. How about moving this elsewhere?

I agree.....moving to the Texas news forum

red8

leawoodcop,
It's seems a little too late after the horse left barn to lock the barn
door. This does not only Texas but the nation and the need for tougher immigration laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.