County CommGP-5/SSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

rljames

Tecsun GP5 Hidden Options?

Some Tecsun radios are notable for "hidden" key press options. Any discovered on the GP5?

rljames

Some observations, questions, issues for discussion, etc;

1) Buttons, and related labels, are VERY small. Need good eyesight or practice memorizing positioning.

2) Band frequencies can NOT be mixed in any Memory mode. For instance, can't store FM 88.5 Mhz AND AM 1180 kHz in same area for thumb wheel memory tuning without additional button presses.

3) "Mode A|B Scan" will NOT search/tune above 26.1000 Mhz

4) Non-standard bandplan organization? For instance, 24M band listed when in SSB mode?

5) Strange "Scan" limits? For instance, 15M BC band listed. Freqs Mhz - Initial = 19.000, Start = 18.865, End = 19.100. Is there a 15 M BC band? Why show 19.000 when selecting 15M band but Start scan lower?

6) LSB/USB scan not supported? If not, Why? I realize Amateur transmissions are more unpredictable but scan would still seem useful, maybe more so than BC.

7) Navigating frequencies via thumb wheel is VERY slow/tedious.

8) AM External antenna added performance seems marginal at best

9) Undocumented feature - Scan direction governed by last thumb wheel tune direction.

Thoughts?

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Well, I have a few.

1. Yeah, it's not a good layout at all. I constantly hit the wrong button.
2. The memory setup is just strange to me. I can't figure out exactly why.
3. I don't use this feature at all.
4. Wierdness.
5. More weirdness in their (Tecsun's) choices.
6. Any kind of scan on SW is only semi useful, at best anyway.
7. A set of 1 MHZ up/down buttons would have been a great thing to do.
8. I don't think it can tolerate much of an antenna, period.
9. Handy. Sometimes.

rljames

I'm a SW/radio novice and only spent a few days with the GP-5 but I somewhat like the way it operates. Keys definitely small and stiff but after a few minutes with the UM, things are reasonably straight forward, fairly intuitive and consistent.

As I understand things at least, Tecsun is no stranger to SW radios and shortwave band plans are fixed. For instance, the 22M band has a universally known frequency range. So why create what seems to be strange Meter frequency configurations within the GP-5?

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Everyone I've shown the GP-5 to has been impressed with it, especially with some kind of short antenna hooked to it. On the whip, at my house anyway, it's pretty much deaf as a rock on SW. My Radio Shack 20-629 is much more sensitive on it's whip. It's actually usable without adding an external wire or anything else.

Unkei

GP-5/SSB

Hello all,
After watching and reading all the reviews I could find, I've decided to go to Universal Radio this weekend and get this little handheld. I already have a Grundig S450DLX and a Grundig Satellit 750, as well as my Yeasu handheld HF Transceiver. But I like the form factor of this little beauty, so will add one to my growing stable. After all, one can never have too many radios...right? Besides..if I pick it up at Universal Radio..I get to look at other stuff, as well as their large display of old magazines! What's not to like?
Oh..and on a side note..I love Eaton Grundig's customer service. My S450DLX had a bad volume pot..giving me almost no volume. Even though I was honest with them and told them my receipt was long gone, and that the radio was several years out of warranty..(pre 2009),they are replacing the radio for free! Wow!
Cheers,
KD8WKI
Unkei

Status
Not open for further replies.