County of Maui P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

WD433

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
Hi All,

The question I have, I'm about to start testing SDRTrunk on the Maui County system from the Big Island and possibly get that site up on Calls soon, is this system a simulcast (LSM) or a regular trunked P25 system (C4M) system?

Based on what I have seen on my BCD436HP, what I programmed from RR, I catch the following sites from Waikoloa:

- Lāna'i
- Waimea (at Kahua Ranch)
- Site 004 (Which I believe is in Kahului, the signal is really strong all the way to Kailua-Kona)

I believe it's distortion and also a mix of encryption, but I figure to try out SDRTrunk to see the results.

I figure I reach out to see what others may have or tips on receiving the Maui County system. I'll also try running the info from SDRTrunk and Pro96Com reports that I might answer this question.

Any help is much appreciated.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I haven’t checked in a while, but I was able to get Site 004 pretty strong in Honokaa. I no longer have my 700/800 yagi setup, so not sure what is the state of things now. I remember hearing several several radios with encryption turned on some of the TG’s.
That’s got me thinking, I may enter that site into my G5 and see if I can still pick it up. The signal was pretty strong, so I’m interested to see if I can get anything without an external antenna.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Getting strong signal from site “004” on my G5 while outdoors. Hearing TG’s 5130 and 5140 so far.

WD433

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
Getting strong signal from site “004” on my G5 while outdoors. Hearing TG’s 5130 and 5140 so far.

Thanks, Scan18, I tried the same in Honoka'a to Waipio Valley side, Site 004 comes on strong with just the stock antenna on the BCD436HP. North Kohala District, signals from a lot of the Maui sites come up very strong. When you're in the Waimea town area, no signal but as you head south and along the Waikoloa/Puako Coastline all the way to Kona Airport, pick up the system with no problem on a stock antenna. I'll be trying a yagi from Kailua-Kona to see if can receive it past Kona Airport.

Did run SDRTrunk software on the system and discover a whole bunch of new talkgroups and sent them to be added to the database for the Maui County system. And yes, MPD Talkgroups have partial encryption, seen it pop up numerous times while I did a test run.

Going to keep running a few more tests with SDRTrunk to see what else I come up with.

code3cowboy

Maui has a TRS site on the north side of big island, I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Kahua Ranch Site on Kohala Mountain Road.

ETA: reread your post, nevermind. I'll hunt through my old pictures and find the site list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.