County Talkgroups and Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
Greetings.

I have a question reguarding countys and talk groups. I have a Radio Shack Pro 197, with and an 800 mhz base antenna 20 feet overhead.

I live in the middle of Genesee County. I have each county around me programmed in a different channel bank.
My Genesee County Channel Bank, with Genesee tower control channels is very active, I am picking up Genesee , Saginaw, Lapeer, Shiawasee, Tuscola and even hear talkgroups as far south as Oakland and as far east as St. Clair, as far west as Lansing, I hear all this on Genesee County Control Channels.

However... The banks with the other county control channels, (Saginaw, Lapeer, Shiawasee, Tuscola) are silent. I am recieveing thier control channels, but never hear any transmisions from those channel banks ( Yes I have talk groups approperate to that county programed in, with wildcard enabled for talkgroups I have not programmed in)

My question is, Why are these channel banks silent, when I am picking up all those talkgroups on the Genesee County control channels?

Thanks for any comments you can send my way.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
talk groups are system based, not county based. it would be nice if you tell us what system or systems you are trying to listen to.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
talk groups are system based, not county based. it would be nice if you tell us what system or systems you are trying to listen to.
Assuming this one based on OP's location info...

All law enforcement in Genessee County is fully encrypted. Take a look at the "Mode" column per talkgroup table. No scanner will be able to track any talkgroup ID'ed as mode "DE" as they are fully encrypted. Seeing a few "DE"'s for fire as well. This may explain why you aren't hearing much activity

Last edited:

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
In order to hear traffic on a particular talkgroup, there must be a user radio affiliated with the site which you are monitoring. If there are no user radios in the north part of Oakland County set to a particular talkgroup for example, you will not hear any traffic on that talkgroup if the only sites you can monitor are in the north part of Oakland County.

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
Assuming this one based on OP's location info...

All law enforcement in Genessee County is fully encrypted. Take a look at the "Mode" column per talkgroup table. No scanner will be able to track any talkgroup ID'ed as mode "DE" as they are fully encrypted. Seeing a few "DE"'s for fire as well. This may explain why you aren't hearing much activity
Thank you, I didnt know DE stood for Digital Encrypted, On my scanner encrypted talkgroups still come up, but as " digital noise " I'm not recieveing anything at all.

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
In order to hear traffic on a particular talkgroup, there must be a user radio affiliated with the site which you are monitoring. If there are no user radios in the north part of Oakland County set to a particular talkgroup for example, you will not hear any traffic on that talkgroup if the only sites you can monitor are in the north part of Oakland County.
Thank you, I am hearing talkgroups from those counties, just not in the scan list Ive programed them into
For example, I can hear police dispatch from Tuscola County, but I'm hearing it in the scan list of Genesee County control channels and not from Tuscola County control channels.

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
On the Frequincies and talkgroup listings in RR they greguinices and talkgroups are sorted by county.

In the frequency and talkgroup section of RR the frequencies and talkgrouops are sorted by county, I am looking to listen to Saginaw, Lapeer, Shiawasee, Tuscola countys which I have control channels programed for each in a seperate scan list.
My issue is that i'm hearing these talkgroups from the Genesee County contol channel and not from the tower specific ( which there is usualy one in each county) control channel.

For example, I can hear police dispatch from Tuscola County, but I'm hearing it in the scan list of Genesee County control channels and not from Tuscola County control channels.

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
Greetings.

I have a question reguarding countys and talk groups. I have a Radio Shack Pro 197, with and an 800 mhz base antenna 20 feet overhead.

I live in the middle of Genesee County. I have each county around me programmed in a different channel bank.
My Genesee County Channel Bank, with Genesee tower control channels is very active, I am picking up Genesee , Saginaw, Lapeer, Shiawasee, Tuscola and even hear talkgroups as far south as Oakland and as far east as St. Clair, as far west as Lansing, I hear all this on Genesee County Control Channels.

However... The banks with the other county control channels, (Saginaw, Lapeer, Shiawasee, Tuscola) are silent. I am recieveing thier control channels, but never hear any transmisions from those channel banks ( Yes I have talk groups approperate to that county programed in, with wildcard enabled for talkgroups I have not programmed in)

My question is, Why are these channel banks silent, when I am picking up all those talkgroups on the Genesee County control channels?

Thanks for any comments you can send my way.

Thank you for your responces, let me be a little more detailed. I have one scan list programed with control channels for the county where I live (Genesee County ) I have 5 more seperate scan lists, each for a surrounding county, with those county / tower specific control frequincies programed.

Scan list 1 - Genesee
Scan list 2 - Lapeer
Scan list 3 - Tuscola
Scan list 4 - Shiawasee, ect ect

My Genesee County scan list with Genesee County controls channels, recieves Lapeer, Tuscola and Shiawasee countys,
but the scan lists with those counties and thier control channels such as list 1,2 and 3 are silent.

My questions is why would I hear transmissions from Tuscola County on Genesee Counties control channel and not from the scan list with Tuscola Counties contol channels programed into them.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your responces, let me be a little more detailed. I have one scan list programed with control channels for the county where I live (Genesee County ) I have 5 more seperate scan lists, each for a surrounding county, with those county / tower specific control frequincies programed.

Scan list 1 - Genesee
Scan list 2 - Lapeer
Scan list 3 - Tuscola
Scan list 4 - Shiawasee, ect ect

My Genesee County scan list with Genesee County controls channels, recieves Lapeer, Tuscola and Shiawasee countys,
but the scan lists with those counties and thier control channels such as list 1,2 and 3 are silent.

My questions is why would I hear transmissions from Tuscola County on Genesee Counties control channel and not from the scan list with Tuscola Counties contol channels programed into them.
That tells me that maybe you have the Tuscola, Lapeer, etc. talkgroups programmed into your Genessee scan list.

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
That tells me that maybe you have the Tuscola, Lapeer, etc. talkgroups programmed into your Genessee scan list.
That is a posibility, but would some transmissions come up on the Tuscola County scan list, my scanner has a wild card function that monitors all talkgroups in a system even when they are not programmed in, the Tuscola County scan list is completely silent. Could this be a range issue?

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
That is a posibility, but would some transmissions come up on the Tuscola County scan list, my scanner has a wild card function that monitors all talkgroups in a system even when they are not programmed in, the Tuscola County scan list is completely silent. Could this be a range issue?
The wildcard feature is what is giving you the other counties on the Genesee list. As far as range goes, if you can receive a good signal from the Tuscola site, then you should be able to receive their traffic. The signal might be good enough to hear the data, but not decode the data.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm a little late getting to this thread, but I think there is some confusion about the scan lists and CC entries. The CCs are tied to a system, not a scan list. The TG are tied to a system, too. A scan list is made up of TG, which automatically scans the CCs associated with that system. (You can also have conventional frequencies is the scan list, if you want.)

This is why you need to pick you CCs carefully, since you are limited to 32.

You can make separate system entries for the same system, if you need more than the 32 CC, then duplicate the TGs in that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.