Countycomm GP-5/SSB gen 3 current drain on the shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcote

Hello all,

I have noticed that my countycomm GP-5/SSB gen 3 radio is consuming battery even when off. Using 2300maH NIMH battery, it will consume all energy in about 7 weeks. Is this happening to other owners? This is very anoying since I have to remove batteries when not in use. I know it always displays time and temperature but I did some research and the power consumption should be in micro amps. My unit consumtion is around 2 ma when off.

PACNWDude

Yes, this happens to mine as well, due to the clock and memory still being held......requiring power from the batteries. 7 weeks is a long time for three "AA" batteries though. The GP5/SSB is a great little radio to take to the field or on adventures. With actual use, I get two to three weeks on the batteries, which is a lot better than anything else I have used prior. I also have a Tecsun PL-360 (non SSB) and it functions the same on three batteries.

pcote

Thank you for your quick response! Yes great little radio. Very complete and great sound. Built-in charger is really nice.
If I purchase another brand of SSB portable receiver, will it consume power while being off as well? This must be model specific to the GP5 I assume?

Thanks again!

W4WMH

Just curious, how many hours of audio playback do ya'll get with this radio? I'm using white Eneloops, and mostly listen to FM Stereo & 80m / 40m SSB. Doesn't seem like these batteries last long enough.

pcote

I performed a test years ago but I can't remember the number of hours I was able to acheive on FM. It was a 4 day test with 3-4 hours per day so 12hrs-16hrs is that possible?

mbott

Premium Subscriber
How are you charging the CountyComm's batteries? I actually sent the first one I had back for this exact reason, but the replavcement didn't fare much better. Until I started using an external charger. Then I'd get 3 - 5 months of shelf life on the batteries. However, every now and then it will be fully discharged in weeks. It's just not consistent.

edited to add: Fully discharged, I will have to reset the time with a battery change. Doesn't seem to impact the memories, though.

--
Mike

pcote

I charge using a USB cable and the internal charger. I didn't try to charge the batteries with a regular AA charger. Does that make a différence?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If I purchase another brand of SSB portable receiver, will it consume power while being off as well? This must be model specific to the GP5 I assume?
I have read about and observed first hand devices with a soft power button will continue to drain batteries when turned off. On most of those devices I remove the batteries until I need to use it. On some I simply top them up monthly or quarterly. Much depends on the battery type such as Li-Ion, Ni-MH, LiFePO4.

* I absolutely do not charge AA batteries in any radio/device. I disable that / set the device so that alkaline are installed so it will not charge if I use external USB power. I use the Eneloop AA external charger as it handles each battery individually and tops them up appropriately. To be clear, I use that charger even with non Eneloop AA batteries and everything works great.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I charge using a USB cable and the internal charger. I didn't try to charge the batteries with a regular AA charger. Does that make a différence?

It did for me.

--
Mike

prcguy

2mA of current draw over 1 hour of time is a 2mAh rate. That would be 48mAh over 24 hours, 336mAh over 1 week and 2,352mAh over 7 weeks. Congratulations, your 2300mAh batteries are working at their rated capacity and everything is working fine. I would take the batteries out if I was not going to use the radio for more than a few days.

PACNWDude

I mostly use alkaline batteries in both my GP5/SSB and Tecsun PL-360 radios, to include Costco Kirkland brand and Duracell batteries. The Duracells last longer, but Kirkland in bulk cost less. The fact that both radios have a clock and memory functions that stay on, even when the radio is turned "off" drains the batteries. As for charging, I also use Eneloop and the, included with the radio, USB cable charger. Both radios work as they are specified, and prcguy mentioned above. I get several weeks out of alkaline batteries when using them about an hour a day for ifve days a week. Overall, very good use out of a set of batteries compared to many other radios I have. Several older Radio Shack ones from the 1990's that take four to six AA batteries, or other AM/FM/MW/LW SSB radios that take C and D cells. The only radio that gets similar use per its 1000mAh lithium battery is my Retekess V115.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I mostly use alkaline batteries in both my GP5/SSB and Tecsun PL-360 radios, to include Costco Kirkland brand and Duracell batteries.
...snip...
I ruined a very nice Sony radio with alkaline and knew of the battery drain keeping some of the internal circuit alive. That event was the turning point for using secondary batteries for any of my devices when possible. It seems like once alkaline batteries get to a discharged state they leak quickly. I failed to check on the radio often enough to reduce or mitigate the issue. Recently I have had a few alkaline batteries go bad unused in the packaging way before the expiration date. That was the nail in the coffin for alkaline batteries for me.
Good Luck,
Mike

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
More than likely, but not sure. It was a number of years ago. Duracells that went bad in the package a few months back.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Duracells ruined a nice Safariland flashlight that I could not replace. (Flashlights are another vice). Duracell offered something like 60% of the original cost. I took it, just wasn't happy about it. It's either rechargeables now (Ikea LADDA 2450s) or Energizers.

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.