CountyComm GP-5 SSB (Gen 3}

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Looks like there are less than 2 days for this pricing.

--
Mike

DJ11DLN

I ordered one, I had read the reviews on that model before and it seems to have a pretty good reputation. I've been wanting to get back into SWL for some time but I live in RF hell thanks to my power utility's unwillingness to fix a couple of cracked insulators. That one being portable I at least have the option of moving the radio away from the RFI.

bgav

Just pulled the trigger on sale as well combined with a 10% off coupon received in a recent order. I have the GP-4L / EFTR which is a great little pocket/travel/BOB radio but like the features and SSB of the GP5 SSB Gen 3.

DJ11DLN

Got mine yesterday, so far I'm favorably impressed. Sound quality is impressive for such a tiny speaker. I haven't had a chance to get it out away from my giant RFI generator up on the utility pole yet but I did copy several AM broadcast stations with it late last night. Chicago, Cincinnatti, Cleveland, NYC, etc. A consumer-grade AM/FM radio was deaf to all but one of those and there was no comparison in copy. I'm looking forward to some band openings when I have time to take it someplace quiet. It certainly seems to be a lot of value for the money.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Been wanting to purchase one of these for AM DX'ing as it has a rotatable antenna and in general appears to be a neatly-packaged portable. Enjoy your radios guys.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
When I first encountered one at Universal, I wasn't impressed due to the lack of keyboard and slow tuning with the wheel. Quickly figured out the best fix for me and now it's my travel radio.

--
Mike

rickcutter

External Antenna Jack Warnings

I have one of these units and enjoy it use. I want to warn everyone that the small external antenna jack on the top has limits on what can be plugged in to it. Just because adaptors are made to convert to coax, the manufacturer says the jack will break as it cannot handle the stress connectors and coax and place on the connection. I have used a small reel type antenna a few times and, for my environment and band conditions at the time, did not notice any real improvement in reception.

I take it to the school bus drop where I on occasion pick up my grandkids, clip it on a partially open drivers window, and have some fun while waiting.

Just be carefully with what and how you plug in an external antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.