• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Couple Spectra Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I recently picked up an analog VHF Spectra for use strictly as a receiver. Once I hooked everything up and programmed the radio I noticed there is a low, but noticeable hum in the background whenever the radio is receiving (reminds me of listening to an old AM radio).. Is this, or could this be, a symptom of bad caps that these radios are notorious for? Which brings me to my next question.. I was doing some reading and one post mentioned the radio would need a realignment after being recapped. Is this really the case? I have no problem recapping the radio myself, but I certainly don't have the tools to perform a realignment.

Thanks!

gary123

yes the symptom your hearing is a because of the caps. Some of the defective caps are in the audio section. Others are in the PA section.

I have looked at the diagrams for the radios and believe that realignment is not nessessary if you replace the PA caps. I think the only reason that alignment may be nessessary in some radios is because the radio may have been retuned to compensate for the failing parts.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Great, thanks for your info. I've opened the radio up and can't see any leakage from any of the caps thankfully. I think I will go ahead and do the replacement and keeps my fingers crossed that it won't need to be aligned afterwards.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Well I went ahead and pulled the caps from the RF board and the Command board. Once I got the caps off there was visible signs of light leakage from most of them (and the lovely stench you get once the hot iron hits them). Changed them out and the hum is now completely gone. I did have to use some 50v caps in place of 16v for the time being on the RF board and now I get a slight... almost squeal.. when a channel first comes active. I'm assuming this is due to the larger caps, and I will swap them back out with the proper values asap.

gary123

The voltage of the caps shouldnt make a differance. Its the value thats important. Double check your soldering etc. some of the traces are small ans close together. It is possible that the board coating arrond the changed caps has 'fallen' off and you have a low level short, either from soldering or the componant is touching something it shouldnt.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I wouldn't expect the voltage to have made a difference either but I wasn't getting that noise beforehand. Anyhow, I stopped by a local shop today and picked up the proper values. Swapped those caps in and wouldn't you know it, the damn hum came back haha. However, once I take the radio out to the car and run it on 'real' DC it's clean as a whistle. Must have some dirty AC on the power supply in my office. I also figured I may as well change the caps in the control head as well (even though the display was very bright and showed no signs of trouble). Glad it did as both caps were definitely leaking.

cmdrwill

Did you replace the 10 uF cap in the power amplifier? I use a mil spec 100 uF 25 volt radial leaded cap there, less chance of noise on the DC input.

Status
Not open for further replies.