Covering the city...

Status
Not open for further replies.

okccsi

So, we have Freqed, KK5FM, and someone else? I can't remember. Throwing me into the equation as soon as I go take the test will complete a nice large area.

Freqed, run that large square thing by me again.

I should get a call back tomorrow on the estimate for the tower and base station setup. Will end up working quite well.

OKC CSI

okccsi

That was my mistake. I put the wrong username. Should have been FreqScout.

So sawwry.

OKC CSI

freqscout

He is talking about interfacing his coax to his house and putting a tower up in his backyard.

mam1081

Feed Provider
Hm. And that's covering the city? Maybe an antenna would help:p

j/k

Is this for monitoring - or you getting your hammy license? I'm assuming so, since you say something about going to "take the test". There is another active RR ham user in the MWC too.

okccsi

No, I think the general idea was if I get mine and have a decent tower, we would have quite a bit of coverage between us.

I am starting to feel like I am missing something now...

OKC CSI

woodyrr

Not that it's really any of my business but; What?:confused:

I went to bed last night perfectly sane - or mostly so - and this morning, i find that I've logged into the twilight zone!

KK5FM

okccsi said:
I am starting to feel like I am missing something now...
OKC CSI

Simplex ham operations. Hard to monitor on the back-of-set antenna that comes with the scanner.

okccsi

KK5FM said:
Simplex ham operations. Hard to monitor on the back-of-set antenna that comes with the scanner.

HA! I was referring to me getting my ham license. I think I should close this now as I hear the music that is played at the end of the closing act.

So, I am getting a tower. There ya go?

OKC CSI

Gilligan

Database Admin
Simplex ops in OKC doesn't require all that much. I've talked from a mobile at NW Expressway clean into Edmond with no problems on a 5/8 wavelength magmount. I think I used 5 watts and still had a fairly good signal.

freqscout

Well maybe with a tower you can talk direct with me in NW OKC. I am working on an antenna erection of my own.

okccsi

Speaking of posts, FreqScout and I tied in this thread with 121 each. Kinda odd.

OKC CSI

freqscout

Here are a few pics from my final install Don...Antenna is a VHF 1/4 wave and a 1/2 wave on UHF (I believe). The antenna is on an NMO mount.
The copper wire is a 5ft ground plane line that is connected to the mounting plate which is drilled into the wood porch for the upstairs neighbor. The black wire is obviously the antenna feed.
There was a slight problem with the coax length because it took a longer length than I anticipated. Given that problem I need to acquire a greater length of coax and redo the run from the antenna to the radio. The UHF/UHF barrel connector linking the two coax runs is causing problems with higher than desired SWR (but not bad).

Attachments

• Install2.jpg
    Install2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Install3.jpg
    Install3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Install1.jpg
    Install1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 138

okccsi

Simple enough. I might go that route right off the upper eave on the second story instead of doing a tower. After the eBay bill, I really need to stay low key with the wife.

OKC CSI

freqscout

We will work on it.
That is a pretty simple way just to get on the air better than using a rubber ducky. The height of the install (second story) will help quite a bit. I am using RG-58 which is notoriously lossy on 800/900 and up compared to using heliax or larger core/better shielded cable. However, it will be better than sitting at the computer desk using a rubber duck or the off the back of the radio antennas.
Total cost on that was about 30 dollars including the antenna and other items.

Status
Not open for further replies.