coverting non digital to digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
is their a program/software that you can hook up a non digital but trunking radio thru your computer and have the computer decode the system (hamilton co ohio p25 system)

reason is a have a digital (2096) in my truck but you like to have one in my house but trying not to spend that much more money , i have a psr4oo and pro 2051 that i could use at home

thanks jim

ICP963

Feed Provider
is their a program/software that you can hook up a non digital but trunking radio thru your computer and have the computer decode the system (hamilton co ohio p25 system)

reason is a have a digital (2096) in my truck but you like to have one in my house but trying not to spend that much more money , i have a psr4oo and pro 2051 that i could use at home

thanks jim
No PC based software P25 demodulators are available at this time. I doubt that you will see any in the future due to patents and copywright issues.

Cowthief

P25,IMBE,etc.

Hello.

There ARE P25 solutions in software.
http://www.dvsinc.com/products/software.htm
But, this means a really high quality sound card, the Edirol FA 66 works fine.
http://www.roland.com/products/en/fa-66/index.html
Next, the Software, figure on anywhere from free to $1200 for the package, it just depends on who you know, who you work for, that type of thing.
Last, the computer, the DVSI software looks at the trusted platform chip of whatever computer it is installed on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Computing_Platform_Alliance
No TCP computer? give up, the software will not run, and will only run on THAT machine.
So, even if I were to give you a mirror of my hard drive it would do you no good, not that I would anyway.
So, lets see,
$1400 for a laptop with TCP.
$300 for the sound card.
$800 for a limited software license.
Maximum price? 2500,.

Hacked laptop you already have, $0
Used sound card from half starved wino, $20
Software from who knows where, $0
Minimum price? 20,.

Your choice.

Now, the next problem is controlling the radio (scanner).
A scanner with CAT or other external data control would be needed, and would need to work with whatever control software you have, really only 2 options.
But, only the pro 2001 has been adapted to limited P25 scanning, and that is with the optoelectronics board installed.
Other radios have been adapted, including the Motorola SynCom II, but that is not normally a consumer item, unless you do not care about trunking.

And, you must capture audio right off the detector, and may need to buffer this also.

Sound like a lot of effort? it is, and once you are done you will have something that does little more than a scanner that does P25 out of the box.

It can, and has, been done, but unless you have some really compelling reason, it is much easier just to dash out and buy the correct scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.