Covington area, is it ENC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Should I bother loading up some of the conventional channels for a trip to the Covington area in the APX or are they encrypted?

Last edited:

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Most operation is in the clear, I haven't heard encryption yet. Some channels are still FMN and Covington Police is on P25

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Covington as in northern Kentucky?

If so they are still conventional analog UHF. They only use P25 on channel 3 for tactical operations and that is encrypted.

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
Covington as in northern Kentucky?

If so they are still conventional analog UHF. They only use P25 on channel 3 for tactical operations and that is encrypted.
Do they still go "Astro" to talk sensitive stuff on CH 1? They used to do this frequently thinking it was "secure." I know that most talk is conventional analog although. I used to hear some digital communications on CH 1 but haven't paid any attention to them in a while.

I was told that the "Areawide" repeater is dual mode analog/P25 too. Has anyone caught any P25 traffic on it?

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
The only channel they currently use P25 on is channel 3. I saw some info a year or so ago saying they were removing the other P25 channels from the radios.

I have not heard P25 on the area wide but I have been told by others that they have heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.