CP Rail MOW overtaken by NWS Buffalo KEB 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
I thought maybe the first time it was just a radio issue or a one time thing, but this morning had to have been the 3rd or 4th time maybe more in the last year or so, KEB98 NOAA Station is overtaking a CP Rail MoW Frequency on 160.845. KEB98 should be on 162.550.

Seems to happen on good propagation times mostly mornings. Anybody else heard this?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Might be high and strong enough to cause interference on nearby freqs?

ATCTech

Does this happen on all of your radios?? And where are you located (town/city)?

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
In Burlington. So far, just on my SDS on a outdoor roof antenna.

Why I am wondering if it is the radio, gonna see if i can set up another radio here if it happens again, one of my old ones. Was too tir,ed to get up haha but saw it and heard it from my bed when it happened. Will likely try to plug in the TRX if it happens again.

ATCTech

Ok, I'm just north of you just outside of Milton. That's quite a distance from Buffalo but intermod where one primary frequency happens to be 162.550 is all I can think of. Different designs of the various radios will help to narrow it down for sure. I find 107.9 up at Mount Nemo is a primary suspect in a lot of potential inter-mod possibilities.

Is this heard in bursts or is it pretty continuous when conditions persist?

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100/200 Scanners are unfortunately notorious for having image issues on analog frequencies. I had a similar problem monitoring the railroads in Chicago as our local NOAA station also transmits on 162.550 MHz. If using your SDS100/200, then I'd suggest applying either the "Invert" or "Wide Invert" filter as it helped me completely wipe out images from NOAA. If it still doesn't work, then try applying IFX to each frequency you're having this problem on. If you're STILL having problems, then you're going to need a notch filter to wipe out the images.

KB1VLA

Receiver is being desensed. I've had that happen when tuned to a VHF frequency and a radio nearby keys up on another VHF frequency, KZZ40 162.450 would come over the scanner from 15 miles away.

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100/200 Scanners are unfortunately notorious for having image issues on analog frequencies. I had a similar problem monitoring the railroads in Chicago as our local NOAA station also transmits on 162.550 MHz. If using your SDS100/200, then I'd suggest applying either the "Invert" or "Wide Invert" filter as it helped me completely wipe out images from NOAA. If it still doesn't work, then try applying IFX to each frequency you're having this problem on. If you're STILL having problems, then you're going to need a notch filter to wipe out the images.
Thanks! will try that next time it happens!. Thought it might have been a SDS issue.

Ok, I'm just north of you just outside of Milton. That's quite a distance from Buffalo but intermod where one primary frequency happens to be 162.550 is all I can think of. Different designs of the various radios will help to narrow it down for sure. I find 107.9 up at Mount Nemo is a primary suspect in a lot of potential inter-mod possibilities.

Is this heard in bursts or is it pretty continuous when conditions persist?

It is quite far from Buffalo, but looking at NWS's propagation map, it shows blobs right over my area and comes in crystal clear 95% of the time year round.
Yea, gotta get my TRX set up here again, not a lot of space in my desk nowadays hehe!, but at least another outdoor antenna for it I can hook it up to.
It was continuous! with maybe the odd cutout if somebody talked on the freq or the signal broke a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.