• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CP100 or VX261

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggen

All, I am looking at purchasing a radio, either a CP100 or a VX261. I have been quoted a lower price for the VX. My question is, would the VX work as well for the following needs.

Radio will be in padded aluminum box attached to a go kart chassis or seat. It will be exposed to the elements. We race in the rain. Our races are 6-24 hours. The tracks we run are no more than 2/3 mile across.

The ONLY thing I need this radio to do is transmit and receive on a few different freqs. Don't need any of the amazing bells and whistles that are offered on these radios for their more traditional business uses. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly?) that the CP100 is more expensive bc it has more features. Is that the case? And will the VX be as rugged as the 100?

I have my salesman's opinion. I am looking for a second opinion. Thank you!

K2NEC

I'm surprised you were quoted a lower price for the VX. The CP100 is an old radio I don't think they even make them anymore. You are probably better off with a VX261 anyway considering the age of the CP100.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
He is likely referring to the CP100d, which is brand new.

The CP100d is more expensive because it's brand new, and is also digital capable (with a software upgrade).

I have seen the VX261 for around $170, while the CP100d is around $250. The features are pretty comparable, aside from the CP100d being digital capable, as I mentioned. If all you want is analog on a few frequencies, the VX will be fine.

K2NEC

He is likely referring to the CP100d, which is brand new.

The CP100d is more expensive because it's brand new, and is also digital capable (with a software upgrade).

I have seen the VX261 for around $170, while the CP100d is around $250. The features are pretty comparable, aside from the CP100d being digital capable, as I mentioned. If all you want is analog on a few frequencies, the VX will be fine.
Ah that makes more sense

tiggen

Wow, I was quoted Cp100d (analog only) @ $350 each.

Edit: and yes, I was referring to CP100D. But I have no real use for digital in this scenario.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I was quoted Cp100d (analog only) @ $350 each.

Well...if it includes programming, that might not be too terrible, as they are likely charging you an hour of bench time for that. But if that doesn't include programming, you need to look elsewhere, quite frankly, because that price is absurd.

tiggen

Programming was not broken out into a line item on the quote, but we did discuss that fact that I already had specific freqs in mind. I will certainly ask!

tiggen

Btw, what does an hour of programming cost? Do you typically have to buy the radio from the guy who does the programming? Or could I buy radios off eBay (or somewhere else) cheaper and have the local Motorola rep program them for me? This is my first Motorola experience.

K2NEC

Or could I buy radios off eBay (or somewhere else) cheaper and have the local Motorola rep program them for me? This is my first Motorola experience.
You could do this but keep in mind you won't find any CP100d's on ebay. VX261 are anywhere from $100 to $200 brand new or in like new condition.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Btw, what does an hour of programming cost?

Depends. A small shop will likely break it down as bench time (even though that's not really what it is), and you can count on that being anywhere from $85-$100/hr.

Do you typically have to buy the radio from the guy who does the programming? Or could I buy radios off eBay (or somewhere else) cheaper and have the local Motorola rep program them for me?

Nope, anyone can do the programming for you. They're happy to have any kind of work usually. :) So if you buy 2 radios elsewhere, you're likely looking at an hour worth of work to program them both with a radio shop. Some dealers (even folks on eBay) will include programming with the purchase. Some will not.

tiggen

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your time answering my questions. I have found the radios cheaper than quoted at buytwowayraios.com. Will call my guy next week to ask about VX261 and verify that programming is included. Might go the CP100D route if he can at least match the pricing.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
They are a brand new radio line, just introduced in the last few weeks. So no price break there.
This is the first I've seen on the CP100d. . . had no idea it even existed!

I was actually quite interested, but of course, the 160 CH display model doesn't appear to come with the channel selector for some reason. :mad:

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
As if the CP200d wasn't basic enough.
Yea, I'm not really sure what the intended use for this thing would be. IMHO /\/\ needs to stop dissolving the TRBO brand with cheap, low-end radios and actually create a better product for higher-tier users. (Obviously non-mission critical.)

speedy4418

I cannot recommend the VX-261 enough to anyone who needs a very basic radio. They are bullet proof. I have stood in the pouring down rain for hours at a time with one, and the radio performed flawlessly. The only problem I have had was the hand mic will get some water in the mic, and the transmit audio will sound real distorted. Just needs a good smack in the palm while holding a paper towel and then goes right back to normal. They are cheap, easy to program, and will last a long time.

ergbert

Another vote for the VX-261, especially in the durability category. Mine was a go-to all weather radio that saw a lot of hours clipped to a lapel on my raincoat. Never missed a beat.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I also vote for the VX-261. Great, solid radios. Miles ahead of the CP-100d. I use to use a VX-231, which is the VX-261’s older brother. It survived everything I threw at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.