• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

cp185 scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

m-gerty

We had the local dealer program some cp185's for us and the only way to scan a few of the channels is to enable scan each time we turn it on. When I say enable scan, we must manually turn the channel knob to each channel we want to scan, then enable scan on that channel. We must do this every time we turn the radios on, kind of like a nuiscence channel lock out in reverse. The dealer calls this a"feature" and said that's how it has to be. Does anybody know any different? Would I be wasting my time and gas going to another dealer?

kma371

QRT
How about just use the telephone and tell the other dealer exactly what you want done and if it can be done?

m-gerty

Tried one other dealer, the "tech" wasn't there, and the lady on the phone said" he was the only one that could answer that type of question. she said just drop them off and he'll take a look at them".

kma371

QRT
I would keep calling. That's a simple question that can answered over the phone.

WB0VHB

I looked at the CPS and don't see anywhere to enable auto scan when a certain channel is selected. Since the CP185 is considered "entry level", apparently that feature is not available.

Other higher tier radio have the ability to program auto scan so that when that channel is selected, the radio automatically goes into scan. Even from power up without needing to push the scan button.

m-gerty

Let me re-phrase my problem.I am not looking for autoscan, I would like to select a few channels as a scan group. I would to scan this group by simply pressing the scan button.
What has to be done now is select a channel, enable scan, select another, enable scan, etc,etc. This has to be done every time the radio is turned on.This is what the tech told me was an "feature", he said it allows you to select a different scan group everytime.
And I guess my main question is, can this radio maintain a scan group after it's powered down, I haven't seen that particular wording in the manual.

Last edited:

svfd17

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/389)

I would think so considering all commercial radios have a scan feature.

WB0VHB

Let me re-phrase my problem.I am not looking for autoscan, I would like to select a few channels as a scan group. I would to scan this group by simply pressing the scan button.

I assumed this is how your radio was setup. There is a way in the CPS to assign channels to a scan list. A channel can even be selected to be a Priority channel. That scan list is then set to scan when the channel selector is positioned on that channel and the Scan button is pressed.

I'm not familar with the method your using now by selecting channels to be in the scan list each time the radio is turned on.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I think what he is talking about is being able to edit the scan list from the front of the radio whenever he wants to.

That option is not availble on that radio. The tech has to set what channels you want into the scan list.

Frank

m-gerty

"The tech has to set what channels you want into the scan list."

There isn't a scan list, that's my point.

"How exactly are you setting up your scan members"

What we have to do is manually turn top knob to desired channel, press P2 (I think that's the button)
"scan enable" turn top knob again to another channel, P2, etc... All other buttons do not have a" function assigned" to them.When radio is turned off,then on again, all the selected to scan channels have to be selected again. The tech also made the statement that this radios software wouldn't do the 2.5 khz step correctly, and it would "round off our fire dispatch frequency (153.7925). He said to expect it to sound bad.
But that's another issue.
Any of this sound familliar to anyone?, or is someone blowing smoke?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
"The tech has to set what channels you want into the scan list."

There isn't a scan list, that's my point.

"How exactly are you setting up your scan members"

What we have to do is manually turn top knob to desired channel, press P2 (I think that's the button)
"scan enable" turn top knob again to another channel, P2, etc... All other buttons do not have a" function assigned" to them.When radio is turned off,then on again, all the selected to scan channels have to be selected again. The tech also made the statement that this radios software wouldn't do the 2.5 khz step correctly, and it would "round off our fire dispatch frequency (153.7925). He said to expect it to sound bad.
But that's another issue.
Any of this sound familliar to anyone?, or is someone blowing smoke?

Nope, these radios are not fully narrowband compliant, despite the FCC requiring any radio sold after 2005 to be capable of operating on the V-TAC/U-TAC frequencies which are at 2.5KHz channels steps.

Any reputable radio shop would NOT program the radio off frequency, as this not only makes the radio perform poorly, but could cause interference to adjacent channel users.

If this radio is being used for life safety or fireground use, it should be REPLACED with a radio that actually does the proper channel steps.

FWIW, similar radios such as the Vertex VX-231 (which does all of the features of the CP185, sans display, and adds two-tone decode and DTMF ANI) actually support all channel steps including 2.5KHz ones.

You should also find another radio shop.

m-gerty

FWIW, similar radios such as the Vertex VX-231 (which does all of the features of the CP185, sans display, and adds two-tone decode and DTMF ANI) actually support all channel steps including 2.5KHz ones.

We have several VX354 already, the only reason we haqve the cp185 is that's all that was available on last years HLS grant.

You should also find another radio shop.

Done !!

Thanks for the info.

m-gerty

We alrady have several VX-354's. The only reason we got the cp185 is that's all that we could get from a HLS grant., non critical use.

You should also find another radio shop.[/QUOTE]

Done!!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
There is a user feature mode you can get into (unless maybe its locked out by CPS) that has scan list programming in it.

Hold side button 1 down as you power up to get to the menu. < and > keys scroll and PTT selects an item.

m-gerty

There is a user feature mode you can get into (unless maybe its locked out by CPS) that has scan list programming in it.

Hold side button 1 down as you power up to get to the menu. < and > keys scroll and PTT selects an item.

I'll give that a try when I get home, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.