• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CP200 Loose Battery Causing Radio to Turn OFf

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

We have several CP200 VHF radios currently in use at my organization. We are going through and doing inventory of these radios and just about all of them have a loose battery causing the radio to shut off and on. Many of the users have resorted to methods of keeping the battery from being loose from wrapping rubber bands around the radio to even one completely wrapped in some weird vinyl designer wrap.

It seems that the problem is the clip that actually locks the battery in. Even when the clip is in the locked position the battery is still loose.

Has anyone else had a similar issue to this?

If so what was your solution to this problem.

Thank you in advance!!!!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

We have several CP200 VHF radios currently in use at my organization. We are going through and doing inventory of these radios and just about all of them have a loose battery causing the radio to shut off and on. Many of the users have resorted to methods of keeping the battery from being loose from wrapping rubber bands around the radio to even one completely wrapped in some weird vinyl designer wrap.

It seems that the problem is the clip that actually locks the battery in. Even when the clip is in the locked position the battery is still loose.

Has anyone else had a similar issue to this?

If so what was your solution to this problem.

Thank you in advance!!!!
I have 20 of the CP200XLS units plus several of the CP200's and CP150's. The problem seems worse with the aftermarket batteries, particularly the Chinese ones. The genuine Motorola batteries just seem to fit tighter. On a radio that has this problem, I just put a wrap or two of black vinyl electrical tape around the whole thing, but just above the bottom so that the tape doesn't interfere with the unit in the charger. On the XLS models, I have to be careful not to hit one of the front panel buttons with the tape, but it's usually not much of an issue. I don't what I'd do if we had the full DTMF keypad versions.

We only have a couple of the aftermarket batteries currently in service, and I have gone back to ordering from Motorola for them.

If you don't swap batteries the tape is a very adequate solution. If you do swap them, then some heavy duty wide rubber bands would probably be best.

But I am wondering if some kid size silicone wrist bands might do the trick, too. I've only got an adult one here, and it's a bit too big for the radio with a fat battery. It definitely won't fit with a slim battery.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I've seen this problem many times.

Aftermarket batteries are sometimes the problem. Their manufacturing tolerances are all over the place
and they can be loose just because they're badly made.

In other cases, there are two springs under the battery latch clip. Occasionally one or both springs gets lost, and this usually happens if the latch clip has come out of its proper position. This usually happens in response to damage to the plastic at the bottom of the housing around the battery latch.

My usual repair for that was just to replace the housing and install new battery latch, button, and springs,
and toss out any aftermarket batteries that don't fit solidly in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.