• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CP200 PL Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unit475

I have a ??? about the PL tone setup for the CP200

My county fire channel pl tone is 186.2 Hz but if I recall right I think I heared that if its set up as a tone SQL that it will not work. It has to be set up on a tone ENC. Our fire and so channel is like that however our rescue channel is a tone SQL but will work with a tone ENC.... How would I explane this to the person programming the radio? Or dose the radio came in tone ENC to start off with???

Thanks,

DiGiTaLD

Tone ENC generally means that the radio only sends PL tone when transmitting, but operates in carrier squelch mode when receiving. Tone SQL generally means that the radio will transmit PL tone as well as only open it's squelch on receive when the correct PL is received.

If everybody is transmitting PL, it would almost not make sense that you couldn't also set it up to receive the same, unless for some reason you are operating through a repeater that does not pass or retransmit the PL tone on the output side. This is not very common in commercial/public safety applications but there are several reasons why it might be done. More information about the system would be helpful.

Unit475

I have no more info on the system however what you said seems to be correct! It transmits PL into the repeter however dose not transmit PL on the output. How would I go about telling a person programming a CP200 how to do that?

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Have them program your TX frequency with the PL code 186.2 and for the RX Frequency, leave it as CSQ, if that helps you in a way.

Though youll likely receive some scratchy white noise that can be annoying "sometimes"

grinthock

X2 what C138 has said...

Some fire repeaters are set for CSQ to avoid PL issues on receive. That's not that uncommon.

Unit475

107.2 is the RX PL because that is the tone for the talk around "same a fire output with no repeter" and that is the tone you use for your scanner. So can you prog. TX= 186.2 & RX= 107.2???

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
107.2 is the RX PL because that is the tone for the talk around "same a fire output with no repeter" and that is the tone you use for your scanner. So can you prog. TX= 186.2 & RX= 107.2???

I just noticed your in NC if im correct on your location anyways, if you have a buddy that can lend you his radio, you can probably go up to piedmont two way in durham or if your near a shop, have them clone the radio, makes it more simple for you unless you want more for your radio if its a personal item.

Also to add, you CAN program both the TX/RX frequency to operate on 2 different PL/DPL codes, if that repeater is set the same way for example

TX: 155.580 - PL 100.0
RX: 154.650 - PL 192.8

If the repeater was set like that and everyone has their portable set up the same way, i guess i could say your entire unit will function properly.... unless someone else has a better answer?

Last edited:

Unit475

Well let me just give a littile more info. The dept would never let me uses a radio to clone. Kinda stricted on who has one that is the depts. So thats out of the question.

The fire channel is set up like this....
TX: 153.965 MHz PL: 186.2 Hz
RX: 154.430 MHz "Unknown about the PL"

I got to look at a Vertex radio that was being programmed. Its was set up like...
RX: 154.430 MHz PL: CSQ
and it worked fine!

However on that same radio, channel #2 is the fire talk around channel which is...
154.430 MHz PL: 107.2 (No Repeter)

If you cue up on the fire channel (#1) and flip to the talk around channel (#2) you can hear the repeter...
So in that case im thinking that you can do it like this:
RX: 154.430 MHz PL: 107.2 Hz

Am I right?

-Unit475

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Well let me just give a littile more info. The dept would never let me uses a radio to clone. Kinda stricted on who has one that is the depts. So thats out of the question.

The fire channel is set up like this....
RX: 154.430 MHz "Unknown about the PL"

I got to look at a Vertex radio that was being programmed. Its was set up like...
and it worked fine!

However on that same radio, channel #2 is the fire talk around channel which is...
154.430 MHz PL: 107.2 (No Repeter)

If you cue up on the fire channel (#1) and flip to the talk around channel (#2) you can hear the repeter...

Am I right?

-Unit475

Ill try and make this short and as much sense as it can make for you to understand in a way i kinda tried it myself before.

This is channel 1's setting

TX: 153.965 MHz PL: 186.2

If your fireground channel "Ch. 2" is simplex it would be

TX: 154.430 MHz PL: 107.2
RX: 154.430 MHz PL: 107.2

If your on ch. 2 and your keying up, someone on channel 1 will hear that "pop" or you talking since they do not have a PL/DPL code to block out the unwanted transmission but thats only if they are really close to you like by a block or a mile maybe but if they TX on ch. 1 to 154.43 on 186.2, it rebroadcast's to 154.430 on CSQ, you wont hear whatever is said on the fireground on 107.2 unless you release the PL by hitting one of the side buttons or the monitor button, however the CP200 is programmed.

Am i right about that one guys? if not im sorry.. I just thought that could be the best explaination..

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber

Am I right?

-Unit475

If channel 2 talk around is set as PL 107.2 receive and you can hear transmissions coming from the repeater, this concludes the repeater is running split PLs (186.2 in and 107.2 out). I won't get into why this is done, but if you program radio as you stated above it will work fine.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
If channel 2 talk around is set as PL 107.2 receive and you can hear transmissions coming from the repeater, this concludes the repeater is running split PLs (186.2 in and 107.2 out). I won't get into why this is done, but if you program radio as you stated above it will work fine.

x2 on that

Status
Not open for further replies.